Ukrainian Dancers Out of this World

Jumping higher than ever, the Virsky Ukrainian National Dance Company is here in Madison tonight to reveal their always awe-inspiring act. Its 85 members boast genuine talent in an area relatively obscure to the United States.

The Company’s unique dance techniques – including airborne splits and an intriguing move called the butterfly jump – originated in the 18th century. Over the years, its methods have remained fundamentally unchanged, and grow more remarkable with every passing year. With the grace of a ballet troupe and the strength of bodybuilders, they are sometimes referred to as “ancient break dancers.”

Virsky first performed in New York in the 1970s, its debut in the United States. Ever since then, the dancers have been traveling around the world, sharing their skills. And, as they say, the rest is history.

The Virsky Ukrainian National Dance Company will be performing at 8 pm tonight (Wed Oct. 14th) at the WI Union Theater in the Memorial Union.

NOTE: There is a discounted rate of $10 for students currently enrolled at UW-Madison