Gallagher still insightful, maybe funny

Sledging and smashing his way across America on his new “Stimulus Package Tour,” Gallagher comes to the Madison area this Thursda0y, Oct. 15 at the Majestic

gallagher.jpg

The comedian, who came into the limelight in the 1980s for smashing watermelons with his cartoonish Sledge-O-Matic, continues to perform an act that is rife with American social commentary abetted by oversized props and exploding fruit. UW students who only know Gallagher from watching reruns of his specials on Comedy Central could be pleasantly surprised by his slapstick take on American consumer culture and his engaging conversational style. At the very least, there’s a part of every college student that wants to see a 63 year-old man blow up watermelons and make an American flag out of condiments, right?

Referring to himself as the “Smartest Man in the World” on his web site, Gallagher seems to have held on to the sardonic and political tone that has anchored his act over the years, leading him to make bizarre observations on the illogic of the English language and the idiocy of some social norms More recently Gallagher has gained borderline pariah status in some comedy circles after a 2005 interview in which he decried the success of other comedians; it is not entirely impossible that he will use his time on stage to offer some biting and uninhibited observations about showbiz vis-a-vis American society in between sledges. Either way, expect to hear the musings of a seasoned stand-up artist, and don’t forget your ponchos.

Perhaps Gallagher’s nationwide shows will herald more comeback tours from other comedic giants of yesteryear. Andrew Dice Clay, anybody?

The show begins at 8 PM, tickets are $25