Midwestern artist starts fresh in Madison

Being wrapped its own case of flannel is far from the only interesting thing about Mike Behrends’ new EP. While the flannel, taken from the independent folk singer’s own shirts, certainly provides a personal touch, it does not even begin to speak for the music held within. Originally from Duluth, Minnesota, Behrends was captivated with the city’s music scene. Behrends absorbed as much as he could and quickly learned the classics by attending concerts and talking with local bands. All the while he wrote his own music, which he was then able to perform weekly at a venue in Superior, Minnesota.

Behrends moved to Madison in the fall of 2008 and has since added to the isthmus’s vibrant music scene. Meeting Lance Owens by chance, Behrends was able to produce his five-track EP with his neighbor, Mike Grunder, on drums. The EP was then sent to Minneapolis where it was edited by Eric Drommerhausen, a friend of Behrens. Currently, Behrens is booking local shows, which he plays solo, and working on a weeklong tour of the Midwest planned for January 2010.

Behrends’ music has its own unique sound. Heavily influenced by the strong folk and bluegrass scene found in Duluth, Behrends brings a new twist to the more indie-focused scene here in Madison. Occasionally accompanied by the banjo, guitar and harmonica, all in the key of G, Behrends’s vocals are the main focus of his music. With such a small amount of instruments, the music is profound, as audiences are able to hone in on the intriguing narratives of each song.

The EP starts out strong with the poignant “Woodsman and the Seafarer,” depicting a tragic love story. Behrend’s voice croon over the bridge, “oh my/ oh my/ oh my, my,” in between lyrics detailing a woman first abandoning her love, returning and finding him married. A blast of cool air in contrast to many other folk acts, Behrends easily evades the trap of sounding like every other independent artist out there, delivering a solid start to his album.

With such melancholy lines as “she put one bullet in my chest/ then a second through her head/ after screaming we’ll be together again above/ our bodies laid there on the floor/ as on the roof the water poured/ it’s too late to say I never cared too much for love,” Behrends chilling anecdote gives his folk sound a creepy twist as well as bringing to mind the phrase, “hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.”

The album picks up pace after this somber ballad with the next track, “Don’t You Worry About Me.” Detailing a seemingly horrible life of loneliness, unemployment and alcoholism, Behrends sings about searching for the love of his life to a quick beat and a catchy chorus. The track provides a nice transition from the more serious “Woodsman and the Seafarer” to the rest of the album.

“If I Grew Out My Beard,” jokingly referred to by Behrens as his “3 minute pop song,” and recounts the innocence and joy of first love in a whimsical tale. The song is surprisingly sweet and slightly comical, especially when it comes to the line, “Would you think it’s weird/ if I grew out my beard/ and I called myself your man?”

When it comes to Behrend’s new EP, the only disappointment is that it is not longer. Each of his five songs has its own distinct character and story to tell, making this latest creation highly commendable.