Award show supplies weird fashions, drama

The 2009 MTV Video Music Awards were hosted by Russel Brand and boasted the same qualities as every other year: strange costumes, fantastic performances and of course, the always-sought-after drama.

It will come as no surprise that the crazy costumes from this year’s VMAs were worn by Lady Gaga, who started the night wearing a red dress with a turtleneck like device, which she pulled up over her face to create a mask like effect; later a growth of fuzzy white lion’s mane protruded from her face and assured the artist a bit of attention.

A few unforgettable performances were contributions from both Beyonce and Pink. Beyonce’s performance of “Single Ladies” began with the diva alone onstage slightly moving to a slower paced version of the song. The lights came down for a moment, and then came up to a reveal a giant, multi-tiered stage holding a good hundred girls or more. They were all dressed in their famous leotards and doing an over the top and totally awesome performance with the corresponding dance everyone was sure to be imitating in their living rooms. This extraordinary performance prompted Katy Perry to point questionably towards her ring finger, and then to the man standing beside her.

The second out-of-this-world performance came from Pink, who was blindly transported from the stage to sickening heights for her song “Sober.” She moved upwards and upon reaching the top removed her blindfold and joined her extraordinarily strong male partner in performing unbelievable trapeze tricks WHILE singing. Pink’s performance was one of the coolest and most unique by far.

Oh, and of course there was drama – Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Pink, Lady Gaga and a few others were up for best female music video, and Taylor Swift won the award for her song “You Belong with Me.” Looking totally and completely shocked, she glided up to the stage with an unbelieving smile on her face and began her speech. Not even two sentences in, Kanye West jumped out from behind, rudely and forcefully steals the microphone from Swift and proceeded to say – during Swift’s acceptance speech- “Taylor, I’m really happy for you. I’ll let you finish, but Beyonce had one of the best videos of all time! One of the best videos of all time!”

The camera panned between a horrified Beyonce and a bewildered Swift, while the crowd booed as Kanye exited the stage. Later, Beyonce won the best video of the year award for “Single Ladies,” but did not give her own acceptance speech. Instead Beyonce invited Swift back on stage to have her moment, because she hadn’t had the chance the first time.

Being a singing sensation isn’t just about selling out concerts and wearing the prettiest dresses. It’s also about image and how the fans or the public view you. While Beyonce proved that she is a humble and gracious human being who is definitely NOT a sore loser, in just a few seconds Kanye West confirmed, once again, that while he may be one of the best, he is also the worlds biggest asshole.