Westbound Uncovers Hidden Hobo Art

Coming to our own Union Theater tonight is a new documentary film called Westbound, which recounts the turbulent and treasure-ridden life of hobo art collector Adolph Vandertie. From his humble beginnings as a child of the Great Depression to his travels in boxcars with the homeless, Vandertie’s life is defined by his many associations with hobos and tramps on the streets. It was here that he learned the widely-used hobo pastime of whittling and, at age 21, began collecting pieces of this extraordinary trade to fill his home. Viewers will see how the very craft that wrought his beloved works of folk art ultimately saves Vandertie as he struggles with alcohol and drug addiction.

By the end of his life, Vandertie had collected over 4,000 creations from tramps and hobos throughout the country. Westbound presents a striking and comprehensive cross-section of this vast collection. Each piece is a symbol of the American ideal of finding hope through hardship and struggle, and stands as a testimony to the largely undiscovered brilliance and talent of America’s hidden homeless community. Most of all, though, each piece is as unique and fascinating as the man himself.

Westbound is showing at the Union Theater today (Wednesday, Sept. 9) @ 7 p.m. Admission is free.