‘Curse Your Branches’ proves David Bazan’s belief

Christian artisit David Bazan’s career has been plagued with controversy ever since he broke up with his band Pedro the Lion in 2005 to pursue a solo career. His music, marked by curse words and harsh content, has often been known to appall and drive away his devout fans. A thoughtful listen to his most recent and first full-length album, Curse Your Branches, reveals that his relationship with the big guy in the sky is still changing and developing.

Whispering drums, bright guitars, and vamping keyboards provide a sweet and airy frame to his lyrically driven style. This time around, the story Bazan tells illustrates his paradoxical relationship with God, whom he approaches with an odd mix of skepticism and devotion. It is an inquisitive journey into the critical operations of his religion. He croons with his calming, razor-sharp voice, “Am I a Christian? / Are you a Jew? / Did you kill my Lord? / Must I forgive you?” He is asking God to clear up the ambiguity, straighten out the inconsistencies, and eradicate the unfair demands. But as unsettled as he may sound, Bazan is no doubting Thomas. He may have a curious soul, but ultimately he comes away from Curse Your Branches a firm believer, and listeners who have remained loyal to him to date will not be disappointed.