Kristinia DeBarge ‘Exposes’ her fans to pop with potential

It may be strange to hear the familiar lyrics of “Na-na-na/ Hey hey hey/ Goodbye” drifting from the speakers, but when it’s revamped by Kristinia Debarge in her single, “Goodbye,” it works. This break-up anthem proves she has the potential to be compared to the pop soulfulness of the young JoJo with the maturity of a Latina Beyonce.

According to her biography on her label’s Web site (Island Def Jam), DeBarge’s debut album, Exposed was created with the intention for girls to hear it and “feel beautiful, smart, and a catch.”

DeBarge’s sound is very deep with an ounce of pop influence to top it off. She also has a great harmonizing ability, which makes the album sound less of an individual artist and more of a girl group. Nevertheless, DeBarge has the capability of becoming more than a one hit wonder.

A trending theme on the album is the break up, which at her age and targeted audience seems appropriate enough. Along with her hit, “Goodbye,” she focuses on making men feel vulnerable (and not the other way around) in her song “Powerless.” She cutely plays off of the title with lyrics like “Now that your circuit is blown/ In the dark and you alone/ Taking out your fuses/ Now You’re just useless.” The result is an angry ex-girlfriend song with techno music backing up the lyrics.

The album follows this journey of waiting for romance, having that great love, realizing your boyfriend is a jerk, and then leaving him. Basically, a hit for teenagers and young adults who can closely relate to the relationship messages she conveys.

The extremely pop sounding “Future Love” sounds like a hit for preteens and their hairbrush microphones. However, DeBarge just seems a little too old for some of the lyrics that are the album. She seems to be more energized with her breakup anthems like “Goodbye” and “Powerless.” However, after your adrenaline calms down from the intensity of relationship mishaps, there are the hopeful relationship songs with “Doesn’t Everybody Want to Fall in Love.” Featuring a light piano introduction and string orchestra, it’s a break from her electronically mixed background beats. With lyrics such as “I know you don’t think I know enough/ But doesn’t everybody want to fall in love,” DeBarge directly addresses how her age influences the topics behind her songs.

“Died in Your Eyes,” one of DeBarge’s slower love songs, has a breathy start with her voice sounding very young but her musicality strengthens in the chorus with her reliance on harmonizing with her back-up singers or voice tracks. It has a different message in the lyrics with admittance of needing someone versus telling an ex-boyfriend to beat it.

DeBarge’s album Exposed fits the mold for a first album. It hits its audience of teenagers and young adult females with the radio-charting songs and overall pop sound.

Debarge also leaves us with a lot to look forward to. After Exposed’s young feel, fans should expect a mature sophomore album that further reflects her musical ability. Once those lyrics stop being so bubble-gum pop, she’ll give the pop divas of today a run for their money.

3 1/2 out of 5 stars.