Jonas Brothers ‘Try’ to think outside the box

The Jo Bros take on puberty driven fans head with their new album, Lines, Vines, and Trying Times. Filled with themes of teen angst mixed with a tone of “discovering oneself,” the Jonas Brothers awkwardly transition from their pop band tunes into more melodramatic ballads. Unfortunately, they may have struck out.

They definitely deserve an “A” for effort in mixing music genres, however, their lack of musical experience becomes evident when attempts smooth transitions failed. “What Did I Do To Your Heart” features a blue grass/country background which shows their artistic reach into other fields of music. But when they didn’t adapt their typical pop vocals to match, they struck a bad chord. Nevertheless, they deserve kudos for the concept. But maybe a different band needs to try it.

The Disney Channel also heavily promoted the song “Poison Ivy” (as well as the music video for “Paranoid”). Poison Ivy’s” melody and rhythm set up for a great song, just don’t listen to the lyrics…they ruin it. The Jonas Brothers still seem too young enough to understand the difficulties of a relationship, and with lyrics likening a girlfriend to a bad rash — listeners realize that inducing illness is unimpressive.

One of the more impressive aspects of this album is their use of various instrumentals including ska band influences and big bands. Listeners definitely hear the intent to try new things and spice up their sound.

There are two collaborations found on the album from a rap influence and a fellow Disney member. You might have to do a double take at who is singing when Common is featured on the song, “Don’t Charge Me for the Crime.” Combining both talents with a drumset background is an interesting concept, though the song’s lyrics seem a little outside the clean-cut image of the Jonas Brothers.

Their collaboration with Miley Cyrus seemed to be more their speed and perhaps a little more interesting for fans due to her previous relationship with Nick Jonas. “Before the Storm” is a lovesick, hopeful song and may just be the explanation for why she reunited with her old beau.

The Jo Bro’s also have a few songs with their original, Disney fun pop sound, nd fans will definitely appreciate that. “Hey Baby” combines their sounds with a jazzy, pop feeling. It’s catchy and definitely classic Jonas Brothers.

Lines, Vines, and Trying Times seems to be one of the Jonas Brothers growing albums where they experiment with different sounds and try to get a feel for what they like to perform. They had good intentions, however, they still need to keep working on it. Fans should expect future great hits on upcoming albums do to the work put in on Lines, Vines, and Trying Times.