Forward Music Fest: Monotonix

Monotonix began their show by throwing water on their audience. Monotonix continued their show by spitting water in a girl’s face. Monotonix ended their show by imploring their audience – even “the females” – to take off their shirts and spin them in the air with fury. This, my friends, was one truly unforgettable show.

Monotonix is a rock trio from Tel Aviv, Israel – aka the band that originated from the most distant location to perform at Forward Music Fest. But it was worth it.

This band was clearly one of those “live” bands, putting into question on-stage antics versus musical quality when it comes to an in-person performance. Don’t get me wrong, their music – a combo of simplistic beats and bad-ass guitar riffs – was outstanding, but this was slightly overshadowed by their unbelievable on-stage antics.

Well, except for the fact that their antics were actually off-stage. That’s right, Monotonix performed on the Majestic floor. This allowed lead singer, Levi “Ha Haziz” Elvis, to bash into the crowd at will, also surfing atop the soon adoring masses without permission. He also climbed atop innocent bystanders, mounted tables and took peoples’ drinks. No one was safe at this show, and a great deal of audience members stepped away in hesitation when the rambunctious lead singer wove his way through the crowd.

The best moment of the band’s performance, though, was when Monotonix’s drummer, Mordecai, was hoisted into the air atop his bass drum. Audience members – including Forward Music Fest founder Wyndham Manning – held other pieces of his kit, and he played the rest of the song approximately eight or nine feet in the air.

As cliche as the phrase has become, Monotonix’s Madison debut was truly unforgettable. It’s possible that a band has never treated an audience with such care, yet abused them so mightily, at the same time. Because, although Monotonix seemingly assaulted the band at every turn, the trio was also there to entertain to the fullest. And that they did.

Oh, and if you were spit on by Monotonix’s lead singer, feel free to contact me at [email protected]