Forward Music Fest this weekend

In case you haven’t heard – how could you not? – Forward Music Fest is kicking off its first annual event this Friday and Saturday. I’m not sure about you, but I’m incredibly excited. The acts are going to be amazing, and, in case you aren’t familiar with some of them, here’s a quick rundown of bands and genre.

Neko Case – Alt-Country: The alternative country indie queen, who used to moonlight with the New Pornographers, is finally coming to Madison after an injured ankle kept her from appearing with the NPs in April.

Flosstradamus – DJs/Mash-up: In the recent interview I did with Wyndham Manning, Kyle Pfister and Jamie Hanson, all three agreed that this would be an incredible show and an awesome dance party.

Killdozer – Rock: Formed in Madison in the ’80s, this Saturday will be Killdozer’s first show in 12 years. Reportedly, the band is going to be bringing back the original guitarist to perform. This is something that absolutely must not be missed.

Bob Mould – Alt-rock: Mould is the former guitarist, vocalist and songwriter of Husker Du, but his latest work – at least on “District Line” – is far more mellow than the angry noise punk that Mould championed in his early career.

Mason Jennings – Singer-songwriter: Two of his covers, “The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll” and “The Times They Are a Changin’,” appeared on the “I’m Not There” soundtrack. And it’s fitting, Jennings has the same delicate warble as Dylan as well as a similar guitar prowess.

Dan Deacon – Electronic: Seemingly taking cues from other samplers and composers like Steve Reich, Deacon weaves samples into a sort of psychedelic fury. Oh, and he’s performed alongside Girl Talk, Deerhunter and other indie heavyweights. Members of FMF also told me that Deacon will be performing on the floor, so that’s another event to look forward to.

Giant Sand – Alt-Rock: Past members of this crew are now part of the ever-revered Calexico.

Dillinger 4 – Punk-rock: This quartet is pretty notorious in the Midwest – the band is from Minnesota – and they always manage to stop in Madison rather frequently, having just been here last fall.

Leslie & the Lys – Pop/comedy: Leslie and the Lys are also pretty notorious here in Madison. Hip-hop meets comedy, yet the music is so delightfully enjoyable that it’s hard not to take it seriously.

Star Fucking Hipsters – Hardcore: New York transplants planning the release of “Until We’re Dead” with Fat Wreck Records. Their music is pretty raucous – charging guitars, bashing percussion – but what else would you expect from a hardcore band?

Monotonix – Hard Rock: From Tel Aviv, this band sports thrashing, hyperactive guitars, and what Manning seemed to indicate during a recent interview was a pretty raucous live show.

Detroit Cobras – Garage Rock: Mellow, almost Seger-esque tranquility, seems to pervade their music, but with a bluesier edge. Should be a pretty tame show, but it’ll good for some chill time.

Scotland Yard Gospel Choir – Indie-pop: Don’t expect people in robes singing soul music. SYGC performs music with a level of ’90s pop-rock charm and swagger. The music is, dare I say it, just plain cute.

Thao with the Get Down Stay Down – “Alterna.rock.folk”: Her hollow vocals are haunting, but the band incorporated what sounds like either a classic guitar or mandolin into the song “Swimming Pools.” If that’s not reason enough to like a band, I don’t know what is.

High Places – Indie: Somewhat ambient indie-pop similar to an even more experimental Beach House.

There are also a number of great Madison bands playing including Pale Young Gentlemen, Patchwork (who we reviewed earlier this year), Screamin’ Cyn Cyn and the Pons, Box Social and more.

This festival promises to be really great, so I really recommend – if you haven’t yet – picking up a two-day pass and checking out as many bands as you can.