The violence against ’emo.’

They’re called ‘anti-emo riots’ and they’re beginning to become an epidemic in Mexico.

“A series of attacks on dyed-hair, eye-makeup-wearing emo kids began in early March when several hundred people went on an emo-beating rampage in Quer?taro, a town of 1.5 million about 160 miles north of Mexico City,” reports Wired Magazine’s blog.

But the stereotypically apathetic bunch isn’t taking this ‘crying’ down (I couldn’t resist). As Daniel Hernandez of *LA Weekly* wrote on his personal blog, “They’re organizing to defend their right to be emo.”

In Mexico, the emo sub-culture is associated with homosexuality, so some claim that the blacklash against the scene is homphobia. To wit, the term ’emosexual’ has become part of sub-culture lexicon for those that depise emos.

But wait! There’s more. Russia, perhaps in an attempt to prevent this or maybe just ’cause it wants a better world image, is working in legislation **banning** both emo and goth music, according to Kerrang.com. “Young people” dressed as either emos goths will also be banned from school and government buildings if the legislation is passed.

Have Mexican society and/or Russia’s government gone too far? Not far enough?