ASM rep. announces County Board candidacy

LELANDPAN
ASM Rep. Leland Pan says if elected to the Dane County Board, he would fight for issues central to students like undocumented immigration, labor rights and the lakes.[/media-credit]

A student government representative and University of Wisconsin student unveiled plans to fight for the Dane County Board District 5 seat during a Tuesday press conference.

Student Council Rep. Leland Pan said a progressive third party student has historically held the position, and he hopes to keep this tradition alive by pushing forward issues he feels are relevant to the study body.

“[I will be an] organizer and activist first,” Pan said in an interview with The Badger Herald.

Spokesperson David Vines said he believes Pan makes an excellent candidate for the position as he has a wealth of experience in activism and activating change.

Vines also said Pan brings “under the table” issues to the forefront for students who may not be aware of how these issues are affecting them.

“Pan won’t take a passive role,” Vines said. “He will fight for change and fight for students to make change.”

Issues Pan listed included protection of the state’s lakes, labor rights and undocumented worker rights.

Pan has a history of activism stretching from high school to his current work with City Council and on the Associated Students of Madison, he said.

He added these experiences have allowed him to keep up-to-date on current issues faced by students as well as giving him an inside view to politics on this level.

“While these experiences have taught me the necessity of people power to engage their governments, I have found that it is also useful to have people inside the system to channel this energy into policy change,” Pan said in a statement. “I have the experience that makes me ready to be such a facilitator and a proactive, progressive leader on labor rights, immigrant rights, environmental protections and the funding of human services.”

ASM Chair Allie Gardner said Pan was a great example of students becoming involved on a larger level because, if he is elected, Pan will be representing students from more than just UW.

“I think it’s great students are being involved in political processes,” Gardner said. “It’s a cool way for students to represent other students in the district.”