Legislative Affairs expresses concern with ‘Nuisance Ordinance’

Members of student government laid out problems with a new bill with the potential to affect house parties downtown during a meeting Monday night.

According to Legislative Affairs Chair Hannah Somers there is a new bill, coined the “Nuisance House Party Bill,” aiming to restructure city ordinances to deter students from having elaborate parties that characterize Mifflin and Madison nightlife in general.

The bill outlines nine qualifying criteria for parties to become a “nuisance,” Somers said, and states that a $500 fine can be issued when two or more of these criteria are violated.

Somers said these ordinances include selling alcohol without a license, obstructing stairways and entrances to buildings, providing alcohol to underage persons or those already intoxicated and throwing stones or other missiles.

Somers added discretion over how the bill is used could be a major factor for students.

“The average house party violates more than two of the nine criteria, so the biggest issue is how the police will use the bill if it is passed,” Somers said. “It is not so much the content of the bill, but rather the type of discretion it will be given – whether it will be used right and left or only once in a while.”

Members of the committee expressed concern about how Madison Police Department would handle these ordinances on game days and times with increases in both parties and fines.

The bill could lead to conflicts between tenant and landlord, Somers added, as after the third offense at the same residence, the premise owner will be charged as violating the ordinance in addition to the occupants.

“This bill would not be the best idea for landlords. If they begin evicting their tenants who often have house parties, they will either end up having to pay big fines or be faced with evicting tenants with no one to fill the spot in the middle of the semester,” said committee member Andrew Mackens.

Additionally, the committee spoke on Responsible Action Guidelines draft to be implemented by the university regarding actions for alcohol-related violence and sexual assaults.

According to this draft, when a student is a victim of one of these crimes while under the influence of alcohol, neither the Dean of Students, University Housing, nor UW police will establish disciplinary action for underage drinking.

Further, a student who calls on behalf of an impaired friend will also be exempt from punishment for their personal consumption of alcohol, assuming he or she remains with the victim until assistance arrives and cooperates with responders, Somers said.

Other topics discussed during Monday night’s meeting included the Mifflin Street Block Party survey and the upcoming Housing Fair this Thursday, Nov. 17.

Somers said 60 percent of the 7,000 students who responded to the Associated Students of Madison survey covering the Mifflin Street Block Party attended the event last year.

Two thirds of the group said Mifflin was a necessary event and plan to attend next year, Somers said.