SSFC considers new step in budget process

SSFC_MH
SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart, laid out the specifics of the waiver process for groups applying for GSSF funds during Thursday’s meeting.[/media-credit]

The Student Services Finance Committee discussed a new waiver necessary for student organizations requesting a budget of more than $250,000 during last night’s meeting.

In addition, if these organizations plan new spending for programs, positions or to increase old spending, they would have to declare it and explain how this spending increases the well-being of the student body.

If approved, the waiver would mark a change in the GSSF,  SSFC Chair Sarah Neibart said.

“This has never been the case before. Student organizations can have a budget as big or small as they want, and it’s up to the SSFC to decide how much money we’re giving them. So this is a philosophical change for the GSSF,” Neibart said.

When the organization in question’s budget hearing convenes, SSFC would still be able to scrutinize the budget as low or high as desired, Neibart said.

Only groups that apply for and receive the waiver can submit a budget of $250,000 or more. However, Neibart said, SSFC still reserves the right to cut or add any amount to the budget. Just because the group receives the waiver does not mean the group will get $250,000 or more.

Should the organization’s budget not be approved, the organization still maintains the right to go back and prioritize spending.

Former SSFC Chair Matt Manes said he disagreed with switching to waivers, as it acted as a veritable vote on a group’s budget and is a reflection of the power groups have had in the SSFC budget discussions.

Manes, who is not an active member of SSFC but is knowledgeable of segregated fees and internal Associated Students of Madison processes, said a cap on segregated fees would be something he would favor over a waiver.

The space discussion for Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Atl?n was also mentioned during the Report of the Chair section of the meeting.

The organization’s current space, located at 714 University Ave., is being torn down this spring to create the University of Wisconsin’s new School of Music.

SSFC has been and still is in the process of finding a space for the organization on or off campus.

“We have been trying to find them space either on campus or off campus,” Neibart said. “Now there is a possibility [of] campus space down by Union South in a house that is not being occupied.”

Neibart said that there is also a chance of the SSFC allocating an off campus space for MEChA’s use.

If this is the case, some legal issues will need to be addressed, Neibart said.

These issues will be forwarded to the chancellor, she said.

A new advertising policy was also passed during Thursday night’s meeting. The updated policy specified the size of the ASM logo and disclaimer on external papers for use by other organizations.

Internal uses of the logo were deemed unnecessary as ASM does not fulfill any advertising purposes.