Wrestling set for dual meet against Minnesota, Purdue

The University of Wisconsin wrestling team is set to take on No. 11 Minnesota Friday night and No. 25 Purdue on Sunday afternoon at the Field House.

The Gophers bring three ranked grapplers including No. 5 Jayson Ness at 133 pounds, No. 8 Zach Sanders at 125 pounds, and No. 8 Mike Thorn at 141 pounds.

Minnesota currently leads the all-time series against Wisconsin, 54-34-1. The Badgers’ emerged victorious in last year’s dual with a 20-17 win. , and The Badgers met the Gophers earlier this year at the National Duals in January, resulting in a 22-15 Gopher victory.

The Boilermakers bring four ranked wrestlers: – No. 8 Jake Patacsil at 149 pounds, No. 13 Logan Brown at 197 pounds, No. 14 AJ Kissel at 184 pounds, and No. 16 Luke Manuel at 165 pounds.

The ranked grapplers for the Badgers include No. 1 Zach Tanelli at 141 pounds, No. 3 Dallas Herbst at 197 pounds, No. 5 Kyle Ruschell at 149 pounds, No. 8 Andrew Howe at 165 pounds, and No. 8 Kyle Massey at heavyweight.

The Badgers have won 11 out of the last 13 meetings with Purdue and are currently on a five-match winning streak against the Boilermakers.

Wisconsin head coach Barry Davis has high hopes for this weekend.

“We’ve wrestled Minnesota before and obviously there’s going to be some tough matches in there, and we don’t know much about Purdue this year,” Davis said. “I think we’re ready and I think we’ve worked on some things this week in practice that have prepared us even more. Overall the guys are really tightening things up and they’re really making some headway in areas.”

Senior grappler wrestler Dallas Herbst earned his 100th victory last weekend against Illinois. Even though it is a significant milestone, it doesn’t seem to faze him much. He still remains focused on the task at hand and is trying to improve as the Big Ten Tournament approaches.

“The 100th victory doesn’t feel any different than 99 or 98,” Herbst said. “Maybe down the road it will be a little more significant than it is now.”

Herbst has a tough task ahead of him this weekend, wrestling No. 13 Logan Brown from Purdue. Herbst wrestled Brown earlier this year at the Midlands Tournament and Herbst emerged the winner. Brown will be Herbst’s first ranked opponent since Jan.nuary 23rd.

“The guy from Purdue is pretty tough and I’m expecting it to be a good match,” Herbst said.

Another intriguing matchup against Purdue will be that of junior Kyle Ruschell against Jake Patacsil. The two have met twice this year, resulting in a Patacsil victory at the Cliff Keen invite, and a Ruschell victory at the Midlands Tournament.

“I’m right there. I should be able to beat him, but you have to be ready every match,” Ruschell said. “I know I can be one of the best guys in the nation and right now I don’t think I’m there, but with some minor improvements I can continue to be successful as March approaches.”

Davis has been impressed by senior wrestlers as of late. Against Illinois, all three ranked seniors, including Zach Tanelli, Dallas Herbst, and Kyle Massey registered victories for the Badgers.

“Massey’s really cut the corner, and he has shown that the last couple of weeks. Zach’s been solid and he’s been that way for quite awhile. Also, Herbst did a good job, getting his 100th win, but I think he’s past that now and is ready for this weekend,” Davis said said of his three seniors.

The Badger wrestling team gets to finish out their season at home, with two duals at the Field House this weekend and their final dual next weekend taking place at the Field House.

“It’s nice,” Herbst said of being home. “You get to have your own facilities and sleep in your own bed, but when it comes down to it, a mat’s a mat and you need to be at your best no matter where you are.”