Volleyball: Wisconsin sweeps Michigan, improves to 13-0

Soren Goldsmith

Badgers honor 2013 team in dominant home performance 

The No. 1 ranked University of Wisconsin women’s volleyball team was dominant once again, winning in a 3-0 sweep versus Michigan Sunday, Oct. 1. 

With this win, the Badgers improve to 13-0 on the season. Their last four matches have all been sweeps. This makes 22 straight Big Ten conference wins for UW — a new school record.

Nine members of the 2013 volleyball team who made an inspiring run to the National Championship game as a 12th seed were in attendance Sunday afternoon. The 2023 team notably remained on the court after the second set to recognize the 2013 National Runner-up team as it received roaring applause from Badger faithful.

“There’s so much pride in that group,” head coach Kelly Sheffield said during the post-game conference. “They have a connection to members of the current team. Love that group. You leave here [as] legends when you do what they did.” 

The Badgers started fast and jumped out to an almost insurmountable 16-5 lead in the first set off a remarkable 5-0 service run from Sarah Franklin and multiple kills from Anna Smrek,  Devyn Robinson and Temi Thomas-Ailara. 

Wisconsin never let its foot off the breaks, winning the set 25-13 on back-to-back well-placed balls which found gaps in Michigan’s defense. 

Wisconsin dominates ranked foe in road sweep

The second set started similarly, with Wisconsin gaining a quick 18-11 advantage on a fantastic diving save by junior Julia Orzol. This eventually led to a massive spike by Temi Thomas-Ailara. An ace from Humpherey Brooke eventually helped Wisconsin clinch the second set 25-15. 

The third and final set started much closer. Wisconsin established a 10-8 advantage after two straight strong kills from Michigan. But, three consecutive kills from Devyn Robinson off long rallies ended Michigan’s streak and helped Wisconsin pull away. A perfectly placed ace by Gülce Güçtekin sealed the set and the win for the Badgers. 

Devyn Robinson led The Badgers with 13 kills followed by Temi Thomas-Ailara and Sara Franklin with ten and nine kills, respectively. The team as a whole achieved an impressive .416 hit percentage. 

“I thought our effort today was really good today,” Sheffield said after the match. We were pursuing balls, putting up really good balls in those pursuits, taking good swings, and working hard in transition.”

The Wisconsin Badgers hope to extend their winning streak and continue their high level of play during their next match on Wednesday, Oct. 4 versus Iowa.