Brice eager to contribute for cross country

The defending Big Ten champion Wisconsin cross country team is excited and up to the challenge of carrying on the UW tradition of performing as one of the top teams in the conference.

Redshirt freshman Michael Brice is ready to do his part and he’s already showed early promise of a strong contribution to the team, but that has not been without its obstacles.

The decision to redshirt Brice was due partially to other top runners on the team at the time and partially to Brice’s personal health struggles, carried over from his senior year of high school. Although, not serious, it did keep Brice out his senior year for three months, and he realized he needed that time to get his mileage up to par and improve his training methods to get him where he is today.

Coming off his freshman year, Brice started his official UW career with a huge win, taking first place at the Sept. 3 Badger Classic with a time of 25:05. This set the stage for his fellow Badger teammates to take the remaining four places in the top five.

“It was a cool experience to be able to win a race at the college level,” Brice said. With the Badger’s top runners sitting out of the Badger Classic, Brice also understands his need for more training and that this was just a minor step in the right direction.

Brice, a native of Kaukauna, WI, came from a running program of 20-30 men on his cross country team, into a much smaller demographic at UW. Brice says that running with old rivalries Krause and Buechel from his high school’s conference was weird but also nice to come into college familiar with some of his new teammates. Brice thinks that being able to practice with people at the same level or better than him has been something to adjust to and factor into his training and workouts and recognizes the benefits.

He credits past coaches, teammates, and his father Jim Brice with his success. Michael’s father was a big influence on his decision to run and to attend UW, as his father ran here himself on the 1982 Badger’s championship team. His overall decision to come to Madison was helped along by his father, and head coach Mick Byrne.

“There is nothing like Wisconsin’s reputation, and I’m happy to be here,” Brice said.

When asked about how he manages his academics with running, he admits it is tough to keep up with practice, stay healthy, get sleep and handle school work, but it’s the nature of the college game.

“That’s why you’re in college, to go to class and get a degree; you just have to do it,” Brice said. Head coach Mick Byrne also does a good job at stressing the importance of quality academics with the team, says Brice.

Brice hopes to continue his season strong, competing for the top 7-8 spots on his team, and looking to help the Badgers high goals of winning the Big 10 Championships.