Zadro adds new threat to UW offense

In his first year as a Badger, junior midfielder Tomislav Zadro is already making his impact felt as he leads the team in goals, assists and points through 10 games.

Zadro, at 6-foot-3, 175 pounds, has been a physical force in the middle of the field for the Badgers all season. According to head coach John Trask, his size and technical skills are drawing attention from teams around the league.

“Tomo’s been a great addition. He brings a lot of quality to the midfield,” Trask said. “His passing ability and his ability to score goals is something you don’t often find in a college setting. He’s big, he’s strong
and he’s a special attacking player. We’ve got to utilize him.”

After amassing a staggering 20 goals and 22 assists through two seasons at Illinois Central College, Zadro has already proven that his offensive prowess was not limited to his career as a Cougar. His three goals this season match sophomore Joey Tennyson’s total for the team lead, and his five assists and 11 points are also team bests. As of Sunday, Zadro’s five assists are also the most in the Big Ten, and his 11 points are second only to Indiana’s Alec Purdie and Ohio State’s Chris Hegngi, who both have 12.

Spending his freshman and sophomore seasons at Illinois Central, it didn’t take Zadro long to acclimate to Big Ten and Division I soccer. Starting in all 10 games this season, his assist in the loss to Virginia on Sept. 4 started a streak of eight straight games in which he has recorded a point.

That streak continued Sunday, when Zadro scored the first and winning goal against sixth-ranked Indiana in the 54th minute. Zadro, although happy to be producing goals and assists, is the first to say he does not care about individual statistics, as a major reason he is a Badger is to be part of a collective team effort.

Zadro is not the first player to transfer to Madison from Illinois Central after two seasons, as senior defender Arnel Zahirovic was also a Cougar until his junior year. Zahirovic introduced Zadro to Trask and his staff and convinced Zadro that he would be a good fit for the Badgers.

For Zadro, playing at the University of Wisconsin was an opportunity to play on a talented team with a renowned coaching staff. For Trask, Zadro was exactly what the midfield needed.

“My really good friend Arnel Zahirovic told coach Trask about me, and he and coach Phil [Presser] came down to watch me play in junior college,” Zadro said. They liked what they saw, I guess, and they brought me over here. The experience has been great so far.”

On top of his offensive statistics, Zadro’s intangibles make immeasurable impacts on the field. He commands the ball, the space around him and the game. He never takes a moment off, winning the 50-50 balls that often turn into scoring chances offensively and nixing potential chances for opponents. His powerful left foot constantly sends bending crosses into the box, both on set pieces and on the fly.

Part of what makes Zadro so dangerous is that he is a naturally left-footed midfielder with tremendous passing ability. Trask compares him to former NBA All-Star Magic Johnson because of his ability to hold the ball and make better – though more difficult – passes to teammates moving into space.

In some aspects, Trask says the team is still getting used to playing with a passer like Zadro because his unconventional methods, along with his dominant left foot, are unlike the rest of the team.

Zadro’s performance so far this season has drawn attention from opposing coaches, and with two consecutive games against top 10 teams, Trask has taken notice.

“They’re going to pay special attention to him. He’s going to be tightly marked. I’m sure they’re not going to want him to get off to a good start, so they’re going to put bodies around him,” Trask said. “[The question] is, are we
still going to be able to utilize him in the right moments? I think we can.” 

As his first season as a Badger continues Wednesday against fifth-ranked Creighton, Zadro looks to continue producing. But against a Blue Jays defense that has yet to allow a goal this year, that will be a tall task. As they were against Indiana, the Badgers are underdogs heading into Wednesday’s
matchup, but Zadro seems unfazed by the pressure.

“I just try to do my best and try to help the team win games, that’s about it,” Zadro said. “We just have to work hard and keep battling, and the results will come our way. We believe in ourselves.”