UW ready for attack-minded Michigan

Coming off a hard-to-swallow 2-1 overtime loss against Northern Illinois, the Wisconsin men’s soccer team looks to rebound Sunday as it returns to Big Ten play to face Michigan.

Michigan (6-3-2) features a high caliber offense that has scored 16 goals compared to Wisconsin’s seven this season.

Wolverine forward Soony Saad has already equaled the Badgers by scoring seven goals of his own through ten games this season, while teammate Justin Meram has recorded four assists and four goals.

“They’re a very dangerous attacking team,” head coach John Trask said. “They can score goals. They’re going to come in here and give us everything we can handle, but being at home, hopefully these guys can find it in them to have another big Big Ten performance. I would love to have four points by the end of Sunday in the Big Ten.”

Despite the stiff competition, UW is experienced playing against strong attacking offenses and was able to hold one of the top forwards in the Big Ten, Will Bruin, in check against Indiana.

“Against Indiana, we had Will Bruin that we had to deal with, and [our defenders] did a solid job,” senior captain goalkeeper Ryan Vint said. “I wouldn’t have gotten player of the week without them. They’re a great group to have in front of me.”

Michigan also boasts a formidable defense conducted by goalkeeper Chris Blais, who has kept the net relatively empty by allowing just .85 goals per game and recording a .828 save percentage.

Vint said Sunday’s game should be easier to prepare for mentally than non-conference games because the players know the stakes and will be expected to bring their ‘A-game’ against Michigan.

“I expect a dog fight,” Vint said. “It’s always a battle with the Big Ten. Every team comes out to play. We always get amped up for it. It’s going to be a lot of physical battle; it’s going to be a mental battle.”

After the disappointing loss to NIU and a nine-game winless streak, the Badgers will have a lot to improve upon come Sunday.

“We’ve got to get better in pretty much every aspect for that game,” defender Danny Ahlering said. “[In practice we’ll work on] the basics – defending and everything. Just working as a group [will be key].”

Wisconsin (1-7-2) will return Vint to the net after freshman Max Jentsch filled in during non-conference play against NIU Wednesday.

Vint was awarded Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week honors Monday after his performance against heated rival Indiana Sunday, but sat out against NIU to give Jentsch some much needed experience, Trask said.

“Vint will be back in the goal for the Michigan game,” Trask said. “It was just a pure rotation; that’s what we’re doing with the position right now. It didn’t have anything to do with Vint’s performance. He played great over the weekend.”

The team plans to continue to alternate between Vint and Jentsch for Big Ten and non-conference games, respectively. Trask added he might even switch the two players’ responsibilities to have Jentsch play the Big Ten games.

Vint was understanding of his coach’s decision, but noted the difficulties in trying to stay fresh when playing reduced minutes.

“It’s tough not getting into a rhythm,” Vint said. “I always want to play, especially because I haven’t played in the last four years. I always want to get in the games, be competitive and do the best I can, but it’s…not up to me. I just have to deal with it.”

“Max even said last night that it’s hard for him to get ready for games when he takes the weekend off,” Vint continued. “He said it was like a whole new season for him. It’s very true, especially for goalies. You get on a roll and you want to keep building on that. I really don’t know what else to say. It’s confusing, and it’s just one of those things that you just have to move on from.”