Men’s Hockey: Wisconsin salvages split after wild overtime win against No. 12 Michigan

Badgers earn dramatic victory via Fitzgerald’s goal in extra session
Julien Payen

Crazy things always seem to happen when the University of Wisconsin and University of Michigan get together. This weekend was no different.

No. 4 UW’s men’s hockey team took a split this weekend against No. 12 Michigan on the road in Ann Arbor — dropping the first game and winning the second.

Here’s how it went down.

Game one: UW 1, Michigan 5

The Badgers (now 20-5-1, 11-3-1 Big Ten) took an 11-game unbeaten streak into the opening game of the weekend, the longest such streak since the 14-game heater the 2006 national championship team went on. It would come to an end in disappointing fashion on Friday.

UW would throw 43 shots on Michigan goalkeeper Jake Barczewski but could only beat him one time. Forward Jack Horbach notched the goal in the early stages of the third period, but it would not be enough.

After two periods, Michigan would lead 3-0 on goals by Garrett Schifsky, Frank Nazar and Dylan Duke — the largest deficit UW had faced all season. Horbach’s goal cut it down to 3-1, but the Wolverines would restore the three goal advantage just 3:06 after.

Michigan would add an empty net goal to seal the 5-1 win.

Hockey: Rebound necessary for Badgers’ squads after recent tough stretches

Game two: UW 6, Michigan 5 (OT)

The story of the second game was the Badgers’ ability to erase deficits. Four separate times UW fell behind. Four separate times UW came back.

The game could not have started worse for the Badgers — taking an early penalty and allowing the nation’s leading power play to take advantage for a swift 1-0 lead. UW entered the weekend with the nation’s best penalty kill, but Michigan dominated special teams all weekend long — finishing 4-for-7 on the power play overall.

Unlike the prior night, this time the Badgers had a response. Just 27 seconds later, forward Quinn Finley tied the game up. Then, they got their first lead of the weekend, thanks to forward Carson Bantle.

This seesawing affair would continue as Michigan quickly struck twice with two goals — only 30 seconds apart. First, they got their second power play goal of the evening from Nick Moldenhauer and then took the lead on a Kienan Draper tally.

Again, the Badgers would respond. Forward Mathieu De St. Phalle picked up his first goal of the weekend to even the score at three. It wouldn’t last long. Michigan’s third power play goal of the period put Duke on hat trick watch and gave the Wolverines a 4-3 lead.

All this happened in a wild first period. Despite this — both goaltenders in Kyle McClellan and Barczewski — would come out for the second.

After the first, the game would settle down, in part because Wisconsin stayed out of the box. UW took only two more minors the rest of the game and killed off both ensuing power plays anyway.

In fact, it was Michigan who would allow a power play goal to tie things up as UW forward Simon Tassy would score his team-leading sixth power play goal of the season —the only goal of the second period.

In the third, Michigan would again take the lead on a shot that McClellan would want to have back, a changeup that slid right between his legs from Nazar. Luckily for him, his team picked him up and got the tying goal with 8:19 left on a suave redirection from freshman Owen Mehlenbacher for his first career goal. That’s how regulation would end.

With space opened up for the ensuing 3-on-3 overtime, one would think it would favor Michigan. But after a gorgeous cross-ice feed from Finley, UW’s Christian Fitzgerald sniped one past Barczewski, and not even a minute into the extra session, the Badgers would get the win.

McClellan made 29 saves in the game for Wisconsin, with some of his biggest coming in the third period.

Stars of the Weekend

3.  Joe Palodichuk — Palodichuk has been a rock for UW all season on the back end, with offensive production to boot. He had two assists in the game two win.

2. Quinn Finley — His first four-point performance was instrumental in the Badgers’ game two victory.

1. Christian Fitzgerald — The overtime hero for UW also had an assist in the second game of the weekend.

Up Next 

The first top-10 Border Battle matchup against the University of Minnesota at home since 2006 looms next for UW as the No. 9 Golden Gophers come to town for a big matchup this weekend.