On 3-game skid, Eaves hoping for growth

eaves_MM
With his young Wisconsin Badgers squad struggling, head coach Mike Eaves is eyeing a turnaround this weekend.[/media-credit]

Wisconsin men’s hockey coach Mike Eaves is looking for a transformation or “evolution” similar to what most kitchen tables probably go through over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Eaves said is looking for his extremely young group of Badgers (5-8-1, 4-7-1) to progress from a team that is playing sub-.500 hockey to a team that can play at a national championship level.

“Now we’re not [a national championship-caliber team] yet, but we’re moving toward that, and that’s where we evolve every day, every week because today’s efforts are going to determine tomorrow’s results, so we’re going to control what we can,” Eaves said at his weekly Monday press conference.

It will not be easy for the Badgers, but Eaves said he is seeing some encouraging signs from his team despite the two most recent losses Wisconsin picked up at Colorado College over the weekend. The two losses extended the Badgers’ losing streak to a season-high three games.

Wisconsin dropped the opener on Friday 4-2, although it managed to keep it a one-goal game into the third period. Saturday, the Badgers fell 4-1 after digging themselves a 3-0 deficit just 10 minutes into the game but played a 1-1 game over the final 50 minutes.

“Looking at the video, we weren’t as bad as I thought we were,” Eaves said. “We had some major breakdowns that they capitalized on, but after the 10-minute mark of the first period, the rest of the game was even, and we actually had some excellent scoring chances and didn’t finish.”

Eaves referenced Joseph LaBate, Brad Navin, Matt Paape and Brendan Woods as specific individuals who demonstrated an elevated level of play; he said having some of the youth on the team stepping up is exactly what the Badgers need right now.

There is one Badger in particular, however, who is playing at an extremely high level as the season heads into December. Sophomore forward Mark Zengerle extended his career-high point streak of 13 games against Colorado College and has the longest such streak since Chris Tancill scored a point in 15 consecutive games in 1990. Eaves himself holds the school record at 21 games during the 1977-78 season when he suited up for the Cardinal and White.

“The one thing we talked about with the team the other day is when you are playing well, looking back in time, the one thing you don’t want to do is take what you’re doing for granted when you are on an offensive streak,” Eaves said. “When you’re playing well, don’t take it for granted. When you’re practicing well, don’t take it for granted. Bring that every day because it’s a precious commodity, this offensive momentum that you have. Mark is on a great streak, and you want to ride that wave for as long as you can.”

Zengerle and Eaves will be looking for the next man to step up in the coming weekend. Friday and Saturday will present multiple opportunities for Wisconsin to evolve as it welcomes Mercyhurst (6-5-1, 5-1-1 Atlantic Hockey) to Madison for a non-conference holiday series battle.

Wisconsin swept the only series in which the Badgers and Lakers faced off in October 2004, but that hardly offers any insight into this weekend’s series. Wisconsin typically plays a “Big Ten” series against Michigan or Michigan State over Thanksgiving weekend, but as both those teams are ranked in various college hockey polls, a relatively lighter opponent may prove beneficial in getting the Badgers back to their winning ways.

“Our scheduling is tough enough as it is,” Eaves said. “[But] the fact is we still have to win these games. It doesn’t matter if it’s Michigan or Michigan State; it’s a matter of going out and winning, and that’s our task this weekend.”

The Wisconsin coaching staff began watching Mercyhurst on film Monday morning and planned on viewing more Monday night, but Eaves had little to comment on apart from brief general compliments.

“They are well-coached, … and they play hard,” Eaves said. “That’s about what I know of them right now, … and any time a team plays hard, they give themselves a chance to win.”