What a Boss!

The proud Wisconsin men’s hockey program has six national championships, 11 Frozen Four appearances and dozens of all-Americans, but until recently, the Badgers were always missing something — a Hobey Baker Award-winner.

Thanks to former tri-captain Blake Geoffrion, UW can now cross that off the list.

Geoffrion was given the honor of college hockey’s best player at the 2010 Frozen Four in Detroit with family, fans, coaches and, of course, teammates watching. The rest of the Badgers, sporting their unique playoff mustaches, had front-row seats as they applauded their honored captain.

“He’s very deserving. I think he embraces what Hobey Baker was, as they described him. Being a talented athlete, but perhaps a better human being,” UW head coach Mike Eaves said.

Geoffrion beat out Maine’s Gustav Nyquist and New Hampshire’s Bobby Butler to win the Hobey Baker.

The award was first given out in 1981, and the Badgers have had plenty of talented candidates passed over since its induction. Players like Mark Johnson, Gary Shuchuk, Steven Reinprecht, Brian Rafalski and Dany Heatley come to mind when thinking of the great talents of UW’s past, but Geoffrion is the one and only Hobey Baker award winner.

The Brentwood, Tenn. native insisted throughout the season he wasn’t concerned with individual awards or honors. He was focused on winning a national championship in his final collegiate season.

Unfortunately, that goal was never achieved, as Boston College emerged victorious in the national title game. The Badgers as a team were not able to get their hands on a regular season or postseason trophy, but Geoffrion brought home some hardware for UW.

Now, the Hobey may be an individual award, but Geoffrion’s accomplishment spoke to the terrific group of players he played with throughout the season. The Badgers can look to Geoffrion’s historic honor as a representation of their tremendous season.

The Hobey Baker award may not be the seventh national championship the Wisconsin hockey program hoped for, but it was a long awaited first for UW.

It was a moment that added even more glory to Wisconsin’s hockey legacy, as the highest individual honor was finally bestowed on a member of the cardinal and white.

“It’s an honor to win the award,” Geoffrion said. “And I’m just happy to bring this award back to the Wisco family.”

Geoffrion didn’t bring a national title to Madison, but with the Hobey Baker Award, he certainly left his mark on the Badger program.