Softball: Badgers drop two against Cornhuskers, fall in conference standings

Wallace, Nebraska shut down the Wisconsin offense, take Sunday’s breakeven match
Daniel Yun

Tight matchups were the common theme of the weekend for the University of Wisconsin softball team, who traveled to the Cornhusker State for contests against the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Each final score in the brisk weather of Lincoln, Nebraska this weekend was separated by one run. Nebraska came out with two wins over Wisconsin.

The Cornhuskers took game one in the highest scoring affair of the series, and they outlasted the Badgers in 10 innings of play. In a pinch hit appearance, Alina Felix singled to left field and drove in Abbie Squier for the 7-6 win.

Katie Keller and Molly Schlosser led the way with two hits apiece, and they both drove in two runs for UW as well. The defense could not overcome the five errors they committed during this one. Maddie Schwartz pitched the entire game, allowing zero earned runs, but received the loss.

Softball: Wisconsin splits against St. Thomas, conquers DePaul in Madison

With her career double No. 83, Keller moved to second place on the all-time NCAA list for doubles. On Sunday, she passed Sydney Sherrill of Florida State (2018-22) who had 82, and she now looks to leapfrog Sara Pickering out of Washington (1994-97), who has the most all time at 91.

The next day, the red and white made a valiant comeback and took home a 4-3 victory over the Cornhuskers after putting up three runs in the final inning.

Keller continued to be the main run producer. She drove in two runs with two hits on the day, including a double. She also scored the run that gave the Badgers the lead at the end of the game, driven in via an RBI groundout from Kayla Konwent.

Ellie Hubbard, from the middle of the order, went 2-for-2 with two singles and two walks. Skylar Sirdashney followed her lead from the bottom half of the lineup after going 2-for-3 with two runs scored.

In the circle, Paytn Monticelli was solid for the Badgers. The ace went six innings and only allowed three runs. The defense was sturdy, and it allowed two errors after struggling the night prior to game two.

Schwartz then came in to close. UW’s ace retired Nebraska in order, punching out one batter after another.

In the Sunday matinee, a two-run second inning from the Cornhuskers was all they needed. Nebraska pulled off a 2-1 victory.

Molly Schlosser drove in the lone run for the Badgers after pulling a single to right field and driving in Keller.

Softball: Badgers fight against tough competition, come up short in three intense games

Schwartz once again kept her team in it. She pitched a complete game, but she couldn’t avoid the big inning and didn’t receive much run support. This formula has plagued the Badgers for a couple of weekends now.

Wisconsin could not get to Nebraska’s ace, Courtney Wallace. She was dominant in the circle, and she only let up five hits in the seven innings she threw. She completed the game and moved to 21-8 overall as an individual.

Keller had two of those hits, and she raised her average to .356 on the season, which leads the team.

The Badgers could not secure the series win this past weekend. The red and white dropped two out of three to the Cornhuskers and fell to the No. 7 in the Big Ten standings with an 8-7 record.

UW looks to Minnesota now who they will face twice on Tuesday at home. Then, the Badgers get back on the road this upcoming weekend and take their talents to College Park to take on the Terrapins of Maryland University.