Women’s Hockey: Badgers reclaim No. 1 national ranking after Country Classic victory

Wisconsin triumphs over Harvard, Boston College to claim capture first tournament title of season
Dane Sheehan

After three weeks sitting at the No. 2 spot in the national rankings, the University of Wisconsin women’s hockey team (16-1-1, 8-1-1 WCHA) is back on top of the collegiate women’s hockey world. 

Women’s Hockey: Wisconsin extends win streak to four games with victories over St. Cloud State

The team’s return to prominence follows their victory at the Country Classic at the Ford Ice Center in Nashville, Tennessee. The Badgers faced off against Harvard (5-4-0, 5-0-0 ECAC) Friday and No. 8 Boston College (11-4-2, 10-3-1 WHEA) on Saturday, winning the games 5-1 and 5-3. 

In their bout Friday, the Badgers outshot the Crimson 57–15, with two goals coming off of senior Presley Norby’s stick along with Daryl Watts, Brette Pettet and Alexis Mauermann all finding the back of the net. With this win, the Badgers improved their all-time record against Harvard to 8-1-0, with the squad having won the past eight matchups. 

Saturday was more of the same for the Wisconsin women as they outshot the Eagles 48–23 in addition to senior Kristen Campbell stopping 20 shots on goal to give the Badgers the victory in Music City. Wisconsin started out the game firing on all cylinders, taking a three goal lead in the first period thanks to goals by Sophie Shirley, Britta Curl and Abby Roque. 

Women’s Hockey: Wisconsin scuffles in weekend border battle against Minnesota

BC slowly started to make a push in the second as they snuck two goals into Wisconsin’s net, but the Badgers came roaring back in the third, scoring two goals to BC’s one, ensuring the 5–3 victory. The Badgers pushed their all-time record against Boston College to 12-0-0, having put up a stunning average of 4.83 goals per game. 

Badgers’ Head Coach Mark Johnson commented on the weekend per UW Athletics

“Well we just played two good opponents,” Johnson said. “Obviously BC is a top-ten team, and from the big picture it really helps out. I tell the team at the end of the game, every game is a learning opportunity. We’re going to take some things away from tonight’s game, learn from them and try to get better.”

Women’s Hockey: Daryl Watts’ journey from Boston College transfer to Wisconsin star

Wisconsin will look to build on this momentum as they close out the 2019 calendar year with a home series against Minnesota Duluth at LaBahn Arena this weekend. Puck drop for both Friday and Saturday is scheduled for 7 p.m., and the game can be followed live on Twitter @BadgerWHockey.