Forward Madison FC: Badgers and Flamingos face off in intercity scrimmage

Flamingos start off play at Breese Stevens Field with win over Wisconsin
Photo courtesy Forward Madison FC

Forward Madison FC took on the University of Wisconsin men’s soccer team at Breese Stevens Field in a scrimmage Tuesday night, winning 2–0 in an exciting first home game.

The Flamingos were able to score their first goal since their last scrimmage against Marquette at the end of March, after they were shut-out in each of their first two regular season matches.

Forward Madison dominated the time of possession in the first half, playing primarily on the offensive while the Badgers were forced to keep many of their players back on defense.

With the possession advantage, Forward Madison played at the pace they wanted to, tiring out many Badger players early on and forcing substitutions in for Wisconsin Head Coach John Trask.

The Flamingos appeared to be on the verge of scoring several times in the opening minute, including several opportunities to score between 9’ and 12’.

Two such opportunities were unsuccessful corner kicks at 10’ with back-to-back off-target attempts by Brandon Eaton and Josiel Nunez in the 12th minute.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2019/02/12/print-212-forward-madison-fc-head-coach-daryl-shore-offers-insight-optimism-on-inaugural-season-nh/

Forward Madison was finally able to find the back of the net in minute 15, as Brian Bement shot a ball that hit Badgers goalkeeper Dean Cowdroy’s hands, but managed to get through.

Just two minutes later, Abu Danladi — the former MLS 1st overall pick in 2017 and a rental from Minnesota United — booted a ball past the goalkeeper for an early 2–0 lead.

Both goals were assisted by Don Smart.

The rest of the first half ended up as a defensive one, as both teams couldn’t finish opportunities near the net.

Forward Madison FC headed to the locker room with a 2–0 lead and a rowdy crowd behind them.

Both teams came out of the half with new energy, as several players on each squad were subbed out at the break.

Similar to the latter part of the first half, neither team was able to get any great shots off and both teams showed solid defensive performances.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2019/02/05/print-25-forward-madison-fc-uw-alumnus-looks-to-be-hometown-favorite-as-new-inductee-pd/

The Badgers noticeably improved on the defensive end, as they looked like they were more prepared for what Flamingo Head Coach Daryl Shore’s squad was bringing to the match.

A yellow card was given to Ally Hamis Ng’Anzi in the 88th minute after a slide tackle to Badgers forward Matthew Comiskey was ruled illegal.

The game ended with a 2–0 win for Forward Madison. Both the players and management were noticeably ecstatic about the end result.

“It went really well, you know, both on and off the field. We learned a lot and it’s exactly what we wanted,” managing director Pete Wilt said.

Players were also very excited about the crowd’s enthusiasm throughout their first home game, particularly from “The Flock.”

“Myself and the other guys are buzzing for the regular season to come back here,” Bement said. “This was incredible and I can’t even imagine how incredible it will be next weekend.”

Forward Madison FC will continue their season versus Orlando City B at 6:30 p.m. Friday.