Women’s Tennis: Badgers halt seven-game skid in time for end of season

Wisconsin was 8-7 before their losing streak
Courtesy of David Stluka, UW Athletics
Wisconsin Badgers women’s tennis player Kelsey Grambeau. (Photo by David Stluka)

This weekend the Wisconsin Women’s Tennis Team was matched up with the University of Iowa and finally stole a “w.” The team was hoping for a victory to finish out this season after suffering through a seven-match losing streak.

Pulling off this win allowed the Badgers to finish the season on a high note. This win came at a 4–1 margin over Iowa, who are 2–9 in the Big Ten and 10–14 overall. The Badger’s record for the season is 3–8 in the Big Ten and 9–14 overall.

Wisconsin was off to a good start by winning the doubles point, which is one of the two victories necessary for forming an upset. Wisconsin’s No. 1 doubles pair, junior Sara Castellano and freshman Lexi Keberle defeated the No. 63 duo in the nation 6–3, gaining Wisconsin’s first point in the match.

https://badgerherald.com/sports/2018/04/24/softball-badgers-finish-off-boilermakers-at-home-sunday-to-win-series/

The No. 2 doubles slot, consisting of sophomore Melissa Pick and freshman MaryAnn Rompf, also snatched a victory, by defeating their opponents 6–2.

In the singles competition, Iowa was able to even up the match 1–1, defeating freshman MaryAnn Rompf 6–1, 6–4. However, the Badgers luckily bounced back thanks to the victories of Castellano, Pick and sophomore Michelle Linden, which ultimately resulted in the Badgers gaining back four points.

Pick secured the first victory, defeating Iowa’s Adorabol Huckleby 6–0, 6–2. Michelle Linden immediately followed with another victory winning in straight sets. She quickly defeated her opponent sophomore Adrienne Jensen 6–3, 6–1. To close out the season, Castellano pulled out a victory 7–6, 6–1 against Iowa’s Zoe Douglas.

Reflecting on this season overall, it is clear that the Badgers most definitely have some work to do in order to be more successful next year.