Women’s Tennis: Wisconsin wins weekend games versus East Coast foes

Badgers looking competitive early on in Big Ten season
Jason Chan

The Wisconsin women’s tennis team (8–7, 2–1 Big Ten) won their match on Friday 7–0 against Rutgers (0–1, 5–5 Big Ten) and continued their hot streak to Sunday beating Maryland 5–2.  The Badgers opened their home Big Ten schedule by hosting their East Coast opponents in the Nielsen Tennis Center.

The matches were the first games that the Badgers have played at home in over a month, and they capitalized.

In their first series, Wisconsin swept the Scarlet Knights in their matches in the afternoon, earning six points in singles matches and the final one in doubles.

Freshman MaryAnn Rompf seemed to be involved in the closest games on the night, finishing off the duo of Mingxiu Du and Kat Muzik alongside Rompf’s partner Kelsey Grambeau by winning a 7–5 tiebreaker to take the No.1 doubles slot with a 7–6 victory.

Women’s hockey: After victory versus Minnesota, Wisconsin prepares for Colgate in Frozen Four

Rompf also locked up the shutout for the Badgers with an overall 6–4, 3–6 and 10–8 victory against Muzik.

Wisconsin reaffirmed their dominant weekend by taking down Maryland 5–2 on Sunday.

Grambeau and Michelle Linden started off hot in singles play for the Badgers.  Grambeau knocked off Katsiaryna Yemelyanenka for the first point of the day after defeating her 6–2, 6–3.  Linden immediately followed with an impressive 6–1, 6–4 victory.

The Badgers lost their first point in doubles, where Grambeau and Rompf fell 6–2 in the No. 1 slot with Lexi Keberle and Melissa Pick losing 6–1 in the second slot.

Rompf seemed to have a bit of an off day versus Maryland.  After falling in her doubles match, Rompf lost again in consecutive sets versus Millie Stretton in singles 3–6, 6–7.

Women’s Hockey: Badgers looks to finish season strong at WCHA Final Faceoff before NCAAs

But Pick and Keberle made up for their doubles performances in singles play, each earning points for the Badgers. Pick took down Zoe Kulkarni 7–5, 3–6, 6–3 while Keberle defeated Saya Usui 2–6, 3–6, 6–7 in what ended up being close and decisive matches for the Badgers.

Wisconsin’s next opponent will come from West Lafayette, Indiana as they face the Purdue Boilermakers to continue Big Ten play.  The match is set for March 23 at 2 p.m.