Where to burn off that Freshman 15 after the SERF closes

It can be hard finding a good place to get in shape. Don’t worry, we’ll help you out.
Sarah Godfrey

Finding a good place to work out on campus is kind of like trying to find an interesting history class — difficult and usually disappointing. But don’t sweat it. The Herald has all of your fitness needs covered.

On Campus

The Natatorium

If you’re looking for a full service gym, look no further than the Nat. Located on Observatory Drive, it is right in the heart of the Lakeshore neighborhood, but a bit of a hike for anyone residing in the Southeast.

With gym machines, swimming pools, volleyball and basketball courts, there is something for everybody at the Nat.

Location: 2000 Observatory Drive

Hours: 6 a.m.-midnight Monday through Thursday, 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to midnight Saturday and Sunday.

Camp Randall Sports Center

Always had a dream of working out near the football team? Wish granted! While you might think only football and volleyball players can work out at Camp Randall, this athletic facility is actually open to all who wish to get fit in style.

Open every day of the week except for Saturdays during home football games, one can do so much at Camp Randall. There is a 200 m track for those who don’t want to run in the cold, and an ice rink for those who would love nothing more than to shred some serious ice during their down time.

Location: 1430 Monroe Street

Hours: 6 a.m. to midnight Monday through Thursday, 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m .to 10 p.m. Saturday (unless there’s a home football game) and 8 a.m. to midnight Sunday.

Marissa Haegele/The Badger Herald

Ogg Hall

No, you’re not reading that wrong. To address the many displaced students that will suffer from the closing of the SERF, UW and Rec Sports will be putting a small gym on the first floor of Ogg.

There are still some issues that are being worked out, and the hours during which these machines will be available have not been confirmed. More information will be available as the academic year approaches.

Location: 835 West Dayton Street

Hours: TBD

Off Campus

Cyc Fitness

Cyc offers a series of exhilarating, beat-based rides that activate the whole body, the whole time. Each unique class combines calorie-burning endurance intervals and weighted sectors with high-energy playlists and motivating instructors.

Duration: 45 minutes

Cost: $21 per class

Location: Above Fresh Madison Market at 773 University Avenue, Unit 205

Photo Courtesy of Cyc Fitness

Omulu Capoeira

Looking for something a little outside the box? Look no further than Omulu Capoeira. This exciting combination of dance, self-defense and martial arts has a little bit of something for everyone. All levels are welcomed to this unique workout routine.

Duration: 90 minutes or 120 minutes

Cost: $10 or $5 for students

Location: 341 State Street

Photo Courtesy of Omulu Capoeira Facebook

Express Yourself

When it is time to get your grove on, come to Express Yourself. With classes ranging from ballet to hip-hop, you can choose whatever kind of beat you want to get down to. They also have weekly drop-in classes, so you can channel your inner Beyoncé whenever your heart desires.

Duration: 60 minutes or 75 minutes

Cost: $10 or $15

Location: 401 North Lake Street

Villari’s Martial Arts Cooperative

Villari’s is a cross between martial arts and fitness training. Whether you’re looking to improve your self defense training or just looking for something new to throw into your current routine, Villari’s offers a unique workout for all Badgers.

Duration: 60 minutes

Cost: $15 per class, or $89/month for martial arts and $55/month for kickboxing.

Location: 532 State Street

Herald Archives