Softball: Badgers fly into Big Ten schedule riding 11-game winning streak

Wisconsin has now extended its current winning streak to 11 games

Nothing could stop the Badger’s bats this weekend in Fort Collins, Colorado, as they won every single game they played while putting up 53 runs in five games.

The Badgers took on the Maine Black Bears Friday. They put up their lowest run total of the weekend, driving in 4 runs on six hits. Luckily, their stellar pitching carried them to a win.

Freshman pitcher Kaitlyn Menz tossed seven innings, giving up only 2 runs on three hits. She earned her ninth win of the season, striking out five batters in the 4-2 win.

The Badgers carried their momentum into Saturday morning’s rematch, when the they unleashed 15 runs on 12 hits. Their 15 runs is the third-most runs scored in program history.

Softball: Freshman pitcher standout, Kaitlyn Menz, brings success to veteran team

Junior leftfielder Brooke Wyderski and sophomore infielder Stephanie Lombardo both had home runs in the third inning, blowing the game wide open. They extended the Badger lead from 6 to 11, and the Black Bears did not have an answer. Senior Kirsten Stevens earned the win, striking out four batters in five innings.

The Badgers took on the Colorado State Rams in the afternoon game. Their hot bats did not slow down, as they put up at least 1 run in each of the first four innings. Menz only had one blemish on the mound, giving up her first career home run. She earned her 10th win, pitching a full seven innings for the 8-1 victory.

The next morning, the Badgers would once again face off against Maine. They trailed for the first time all weekend in the third inning of the game, but kicked it back into gear, putting up 7 runs in the next three innings. Menz earned her 11th win of the season as the Badgers had a perfect weekend against the Black Bears.

Wisconsin took on the Rams in the series finale Sunday afternoon. They exploded for 16 runs on 15 hits, and Stevens shutout the Rams for her eighth win of the year. Junior infielder Kelsey Jenkins and senior utility player Chloe Miller had back-to-back home runs in the third inning.

Men’s basketball: Free throw woes an added problem come tournament time

The last time the Badgers had back-to-back homers was Feb. 21, 2016, also by Jenkins and Miller. The Badgers had four total home runs, clinching the game 16-0.

Miller had a career weekend, connecting 12 hits, including three home runs. She leads the team in batting average, slugging percentage, on-base percentage, runs, hits and RBIs.

Miller looks to keep her hot streak going against University of Louisville as the Badgers take on the Cardinals on their home turf. They will look to improve on their best start in program history, going for their 12th straight win.