Football: Defense aware of last season’s second half against Iowa

Iowa outscored Wisconsin 21-10 in final two quarters during UW’s 26-24 win in Iowa City
Joey Reuteman

The Wisconsin football team nearly squandered a 16-point lead on the road in Iowa City last season.

But the Badgers held on, despite then-Iowa quarterback Jake Rudock scorching the Badgers defense in the second half.

Rudock and the Hawkeye offense had the UW defense on its heels for nearly the entire final 30 minutes of the Nov. 22, 2014, matchup.

Other than punting on their first offensive drive of the half, the Hawkeyes scored touchdowns on their final three drives of the game.

Defensive coordinator Dave Aranda said the Badgers will have to take that experience and positively translate it on the field this Saturday.

“It’s a reference point if anything … we’re seeing what we did good [and] we’re seeing what we didn’t do good,” Aranda said.

Rudock finished 20-for-30 with 311 yards and two touchdowns through the air, with both touchdowns and 212 yards coming in the second half.

Outside linebacker Joe Schobert, who is currently tied for the nation’s lead this season in tackles for loss (9.5) said UW will have to perform better in the pass game this time around.

“Last year, they obviously took advantage of the pass game, one-on-one matchups,” Schobert said. “Definitely now in preparation for this week we got to improve on what we did last year in different aspects whether it’s pass rush or coverage.”

Darius Hillary was the victim of a pass interference call early in the fourth quarter that set the Hawkeyes up at the two-yard line, and they scored the next play to make it 19-17.

This time around, Hillary said the Badgers have to hold the same intensity for the entirety of the game, and expects Saturday’s matchup to come down to the final quarter once again.

“We got a little laxadasical, myself included,” Hillary said. “I think we just have to come out and be able to finish a game.”