Men’s soccer: Remeniuk named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week

Sophomore goalkeeper earns honors after impressive performance at Rutgers

Adrian Remeniuk was selected as the defensive player of the week in the Big Ten following a shutout and 10-save performance against Big Ten rival Rutgers last weekend.

Remeniuk is the first Badger to receive Big Ten Player of the Week Accolades since former UW standout defender A.J. Cochran took home the award in the 2013 season.

This past Friday night, Remeniuk’s outing was crucial for the Wisconsin men’s soccer team as they won their first game of the season 1-0 in double overtime over the Scarlet Knights.

Remeniuk, who has been recognized as one of the top sophomore shot stoppers in the nation, made his first start of the season for the Badgers after only playing in one other game this season — a substitute appearance versus Xavier.

The Glenview, Illinois native notched the Badgers’ first clean sheet of the season, adding to the two shutouts he posted last season as a freshman. Remeniuk also started 10 games last season, making 33 saves in 11 overall appearances.

The Badgers hope Remeniuk can produce another fine performance as the team prepares for their upcoming road fixture against Big East foe St. John’s Saturday night.