Football: Wide receiving unit looks to get healthy and produce in 2015

Joey Reuteman

Potential is a word often tossed around in sports. But potential is meaningless if it doesn’t result in on-field production — a dilemma the Wisconsin football team’s wide receiving unit is currently facing.

Despite a core with plenty of “potential,” they have not yet produced enough on the field to allow Badger fans to rest easy. Last season, the Wisconsin passing game ranked 12th in the Big Ten with only 2,082 yards.

But UW fifth-year senior receiver Alex Erickson sees 2015 as a possible turnaround for the unit.

“We have a deep group that has a lot of talent,” Erickson said. “It’s just a matter of being consistent every single day and putting it all together.”

Now, the various weapons at starting quarterback Joel Stave’s disposal have a lot to prove, and the potential of UW’s offense likely rests on the shoulders of their wide receivers.

Erickson was Wisconsin’s leading receiver in 2014, catching a total of 55 balls for 772 yards and three touchdowns. But the rest of the Badger wideouts who saw the field last season combined for just 34 total catches.

The limited production on the field last year has been a cause for concern coming into this season, but Erickson said the on-field chemistry between the receivers and Stave has grown immensely over the summer.

“I think the chemistry has definitely improved,” Erickson said. “We are spreading the ball around a little bit more than we did last year, which is obviously good for our team. Guys have really adapted and guys have made plays.”

One of the players who needed extended on-field work with Stave this summer was junior receiver Robert Wheelwright.

Since he arrived at Wisconsin, Wheelwright has shown flashes of being the big-play guy the Badgers have longed for. Injuries, which have consisted of a PCL sprain along with various hamstring and groin injuries, have slowed the junior’s development into serving as a legitimate playmaker for the team.

With Wheelwright appearing to have better luck this offseason in regard to his overall health, the Columbus, Ohio native looks to be growing more comfortable within the confines of the offense.

“I think that was big for him to be able to stay healthy,” Stave said. “That’s the best way to improve, that’s the best way to build chemistry, is with reps and reps and reps. Having him with us all summer and through the spring was pretty big for us.”

Wheelwright’s lone moment of glory last season was an important one, as the then-sophomore’s first and only catch of the year came on a 17-yard touchdown pass against Minnesota that sealed a UW victory and sent them off to the Big Ten championship game.

Despite recording just one catch, Wheelwright remains confident in his abilities.

“I made the best out of my opportunity,” Wheelwright said of his single catch. “One catch, one touchdown sounds pretty good.”

Rob Wheelwright had only one catch last season, but it was a big one, a game-clinching touchdown against Minnesota.
Joey Reuteman/The Badger Herald

Wheelwright made the most of his opportunities once again in the spring football game, when he caught seven passes for 79 yards with two touchdowns.

Despite his standout performance in that game, Wheelwright is not the only player with the opportunity to ease Erickson’s load.

Erickson said there are receivers who are ready to step up and take on a bigger role in 2015. Some of these players were previously limited because of injuries, like fifth-year senior Jordan Fredrick, younger players, like redshirt sophomore Jazz Peavy and sophomore George Rushing, or even because they have not yet played the position, like redshirt senior Tanner McEvoy.

Tanner McEvoy (3) will start at wide receiver Saturday against No. 3 Alabama.
Joey Reuteman/The Badger Herald

Erickson thinks UW has the pieces in place to allow receivers to live up to their potential.

“I think the guys have grown and developed as they should, as they get older,” Erickson said. “But I think the staff has been huge for us. When you have a head coach that’s as hands on as Chryst, it’s really cool because there aren’t a lot of times where a head coach is out there calling plays, trying to correct your routes and helping you out in that aspect.”

Erickson, Wheelwright and the rest of the UW receiving unit will take the field for the first time Saturday, Sept. 5, when they take on Alabama in Arlington, Texas.