Fast Five: This week in Wisconsin athletics

Jason Chan

Believe it or not, there is more to sports on campus than Wisconsin men’s basketball. Now that its season is over, the concentration has completely shifted to the spring season.

Roll the tape!

1. Spring football is a thing that’s happening

The Badgers have been practicing since March 15, in preparation for the spring game on April 25. UW has five practices left before it suits up for the intrasquad scrimmage.

Joel Stave has been announced as the first-string quarterback, while Tanner McEvoy has moved to safety. Corey Clement and Dare Ogunbowale look to keep up the tradition of successful Wisconsin running backs, and the defense returns over half its starters.

Football: Ogunbowale trying to lock up running back spot in just his second season at the position

Speaking of Clement and Ogunbowale, here they are letting you know all you need to know about the spring game.

2. Camp Randall gets a night game this fall

Wisconsin announced a primetime matchup against Hawaii this upcoming season, when the Badgers will host Hawaii Sept. 26 under the lights at a time to be determined.

It will be the first primetime game at Camp Randall since Sept. 15, 2012, when the Badgers beat Gary Andersen’s Utah State team 16-14.

3. Softball struggling

In a 10-inning battle, Wisconsin fell 3-2 to Iowa Sunday at Goodman Diamond. The loss dropped the Badgers to 17-22 and 2-9 in the Big Ten.

On Saturday in game two of the three-game series with the Hawkeyes, the Badgers picked up their second conference win with a game-winning run scored in the bottom of the seventh inning by Katie Christner on a fielder’s choice from Maria Van Abel.

Wisconsin scored four runs over the final two innings of the game to win 5-4 over Iowa Saturday.

At this point in the season last year, Wisconsin was 21-18 and in the beginning stages of its 13-game winning streak.

4. Men’s golf notches first tournament win

For the first time since 2006, the Wisconsin men’s golf team won its first tournament this past weekend in Bloomington, Indiana at the NYX Hoosier Invitational.

Photo courtesy of uwbadgers.com

The Badgers earned the top spot over 16 other teams, shooting a 1-over 853 (286-279-288) for the tournament. The 853 score was Wisconsin’s sixth best 54-hole mark of all time.

Jack Watson led the Badgers and finished tied for second with a 3-under (68, 70, 72) over the weekend.

Wisconsin will travel back to Indiana next weekend for the Boilermaker Invitational in West Lafayette on April 18-19.

5. Athlete Tweet of the Week: Sam Dekker because we can respect the hustle.

https://twitter.com/dekker/status/587304612262055936