Murray headed to Swiss League

MH_ZL1.22
Jordy Murray is the second Badger to leave early for the professional game as Jake Gardiner signed a contract with the Maple Leafs.[/media-credit]

Jordy Murray has officially left the University of Wisconsin men’s hockey program.

The Fairbault, Minn. native elected to forgo his senior year season, signing with the Rapperswil-Jona Lakers of the Swiss National League A. According to UW, Murray has a brother (Brady) and sister (Sarah) who are currently playing in Switzerland.

Andy Baggot of the Wisconsin State Journal reported earlier that Murray was likely to sign with a Swiss League team due to potential rule changes within the league regarding import and non-import players.

According to Baggot, since Murray registered as a hockey player in Switzerland – where his father was coaching – he attained non-import status, which has its advantages for Swiss teams, but those rules could change in the coming year.

As a result, Murray – who has not been drafted by an NHL franchise – felt some pressure to leave Wisconsin a year early and jump for the pros while he could.

“My three years here with the team and coach Eaves have been great,” Murray said in a statement. “I’ve really developed as a player and a person and I think it made me ready to take this next step in turning pro. I’d like to come back, but it is a great opportunity.”

Murray joins fellow-junior Jake Gardiner as 2010-11 Badgers who elected to turn pro early. Gardiner signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs at the end of the season.

Murray had his most productive season for UW this past year. As a top-line forward, he scored 18 goals and had eight assists. He led the Badgers and the WCHA conference with 12 power play goals.

Head coach Mike Eaves has plenty of young options to turn to as replacements on the top line. Center Craig Smith and winger Mark Zengerle are set to return. Options for that third forward spot include sophomores-to-be Tyler Barnes and Michael Mersch, who both saw action on the second line this past season.