Quick look at 2008 UW football season

With the spring game now behind the Badger football team, there are 4 1/2 months before Wisconsin kicks off the 2008 season. But before we start looking ahead to UW’s first opponent in Akron, here is my breakdown on how certain areas of the team performed during the spring practices.

Quarterbacks and receivers

If the spring game was any proof, there is no clear-cut favorite on who will be named the starting quarterback. And head coach Bret Bielema seems to be in no hurry to name one, as he said after the game he would wait until two weeks before the season started to give one of his quarterbacks the starting nod.

Allan Evridge showed flashes of great potential and ability to throw the deep ball as he connected with Lance Kendricks and David Gilreath for 40 and 35 yards respectively. Evridge also went deep once more but was intercepted on a nice play by Chris Maragos; Dustin Sherer managed the ball well and showed some agility by stepping away from pressure. And Scott Tolzien, who did throw two interceptions — although only one was a really bad pass — shows an ability to move the team down the field.

However, no matter whom Bielema names as the starter in August, Wisconsin should be OK, as all three showed the ability to manage the team very well. Plus, they are more than likely to be turning around and handing it off 30 to 40 times a game.

Gilreath also emerged as a go-to, deep-threat guy. While he proved he was a quality return man last year, he is hoping to emerge as a quality receiver as well, and Saturday’s performance could prove him to be that dual threat.

Running backs

The spring game didn’t help separate any of the running backs as all four played well.

“P.J. when he’s in there has an understanding of what we are trying to get done. Zach, I’m really excited because I really think he had a great spring,” Bielema said after the game Saturday. “Those two, a week ago Saturday, kind of separated themselves, but Lance, as we all know, has got potential to be a guy who really changes the pace of the game. John Clay, that’s a big body coming down hill. That’s probably the order we see them in right now.”

With four quality backs, it’s going to be hard for Bielema to get all of them touches. I have a feeling he will end up going with the hot hand from week to week. Don’t be surprised if you see Smith line up wide several times a game in an effort to get him more touches, especially since Bielema said Smith had the best hands on the team.

Defense

With seven of the projected starters out this spring, it would have been no surprise if the offense scored four or five touchdowns. However, the defense stepped up and prevented the offense from scoring for most of the game.

“I think they gave up some yardage, but they made it up (with) some big plays,” Bielema said.

That is probably the biggest encouraging sign coming out of the spring game, especially since last year the Badger’s defense did not live up to expectations. When the starters are back in the fall, all the experience the younger players got this spring will help the defense become even deeper and take that step to returning to 2006 form.

A lot can happen between now and Aug. 30, but with everyone except Matt Shaughnessy expected to be back by June workouts, this team should continue to improve and should have a good shot at making its fifth-straight Jan. 1 bowl game.

Greg is a senior majoring in communication arts. Let him know what you thought of the football team’s performance during the spring game at [email protected].