Integrity not Sampson’s concern

Any sport?s value can only be measured by its integrity. Every league has its ups and downs, but throughout history, the main point factoring into a sport?s success is its unequivocal principles and ethics that should not be broken.

In that regard, college basketball must leap over its most recent bump in the road. Indiana University head coach Kelvin Sampson was accused of violating five NCAA recruiting violations Feb. 8. Often viewed as a basketball genius, Sampson this season has led a strong Indiana team to a solid record in the Big Ten and a much-feared lineup featuring likely Big Ten Player of the Year Eric Gordon and forward D.J. White ? ­both of whom are destined for the NBA.

Yet, Sampson?s actions are not the first in the NCAA?s history. In fact, one could go back to recent memory of the University of Michigan scandal. In short, a man named Ed Martin paid several college basketball players ? including the stars Maurice Taylor, Robert Traylor, Chris Webber and Louis Bullock ? to play for the Wolverines. And as a result, Michigan?s athletic program imposed strict sanctions that, among other bad results, took 112 wins away from Michigan?s record and erased two Final Four appearances from school memory.

Michigan handled the situation in the only possibly smart way ? by eliminating the players, records and titles from school memory. In doing so, it allowed the NCAA to make an easy decision and accept the Wolverines? apology to college sports.

Now, Indiana is faced with a similar situation. Through the accusations, Indiana representatives have been anything but clear to the media. They are still looking into the situation, and have yet to impose any sanctions on Sampson or the men?s basketball team at Indiana.

This is not the first time Sampson has sparked some controversy. Recruiting Gordon, who verbally committed to the University of Illinois, without speaking to Illinois head coach Bruce Weber is still seen as an immoral move.

Furthermore, when he coached at Oklahoma, Sampson was the center of controversy when his Sooners team was investigated for three years and eventually was charged with making more than 550 illegal recruiting phone calls, and as a result, was placed under probation, during which he could not recruit outside the Bloomington campus for an entire year.

Remember that Michigan imposed the sanctions on itself ? the NCAA did not recommend any action. As a result, the NCAA may have looked at Michigan, along with its athletic director Bill Martin in a positive light and in the aftermath, NCAA officials exerted no further penalties on the Wolverines? basketball program.

So for now, only time will tell to see if the Hoosiers respond similarly to Michigan?s harsh stance against cheating and improper recruiting. Though basketball fans and maybe even NCAA officials may not see Sampson?s illegal recruitment as terrible a crime as Michigan?s in the 1990s, it still should not be taken lightly.

However, even if Sampson?s actions were not as severe as Ed Martin?s and the four star players at Michigan, the fact remains that, if proven guilty, he will have violated five NCAA rules and Indiana may be liable for not investigating the issue earlier with more urgency.

Now the question can be raised ? are Indiana?s wins this season legitimate? There was already much controversy surrounding Sampson when he recruited Gordon. If proven that his recruiting was, in fact, illegal, it seems that Indiana has no other choice but to act as if the 2007-08 season never occurred.

Sampson?s actions could have ruined Indiana?s basketball future for several years. Looking again at history, after Michigan?s major offense, the Wolverines have not had a successful men?s basketball team since the whole scandal. Perhaps it is the fact that players do not want to play at a school where such controversy occurred.

It took more than a decade for Michigan to recruit a top player, and that person has finally arrived in freshman Manny Harris, who is beginning to bring back life to the Wolverine squad.

This recruiting debacle could take a huge toll on Indiana?s future, and even if Sampson resigns or is fired, the stain of indecency will remain on every Hoosier uniform. The 2007-08 season will be regarded as a travesty, and many basketball fans ?especially Indiana fans ? will hope to forget its existence.

Indiana athletic officials now have an important decision to make ? whether they support Sampson?s strong coaching ability, or if they will not accept his illegal actions and get rid of the person who has caused the school so much unwanted recent national attention.

For now, Sampson will continue to coach the Hoosiers, but if he is found guilty, it will be difficult to argue in his favor, and Indiana must do something to begin to wipe away his dishonor to the Hoosiers and college basketball