Terry brings energy to soccer

[media-credit name=’GREGORY DIXON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]W_Soccer_GD[/media-credit]Shannon Terry is a unique individual. As a member of the Wisconsin women's soccer team, she brings a great deal of personality and energy to the squad, keeping everyone positive and upbeat.

"Shannon is definitely one of a kind; she is off the walls at all times," forward Taylor Walsh said. "She knows how to lighten the mood, and she is good at getting along with everybody."

Terry not only gets along with everybody on the team, but she is also very close with most of her teammates. However, her closest friends on the team are her fellow seniors.

"I came in with Lynn [Murray], Katy [Meuer], Ann [Eshun] and Taylor," Terry said. "I am definitely closest with those girls."

Of those four, Terry and Walsh both noted that they are the closest. In fact, the two lived next door to one another as freshmen in the dorms and lived together as sophomores.

"We're really close," Walsh said. "[Shannon] is my best friend."

On the field, Terry has impressed head coach Paula Wilkins this season. Through 13 games, she is third with two goals — including a game-winning goal against UC-Santa Barbara — and second with six points.

"[Shannon] brings an excellent competitive mentality," Wilkins said. "She scored some goals in big games for us; we need to continue to have someone like her to push the envelope for us offensively."

Another unique quality of Shannon Terry is the way she celebrates after scoring a goal or assisting on a teammate's goal. Several of Terry's teammates noted that her celebrations are always worth watching a second time.

"The footage of Shannon scoring a goal or making an assist is always on the highlight tape," senior goalkeeper Lynn Murray said. "[It is always on there] just because of her celebrations."

"She will jump three feet in the air," senior co-captain Katy Meuer said. "She will also start jumping up and down and then jump on someone. She even takes people out when celebrating."

On Coach Wilkins' first day in Madison as head coach, Terry made a lasting impression on her with one of her famous post-goal celebrations.

"Shannon scored a goal and immediately ran to the sideline," Walsh said of the incident. "When she got there she chest bumped Paula and then kept playing."

"Paula just stood there and looked at her like ‘who is this girl?'" Walsh added. "It was Shannon's way of saying, ‘welcome to Madison, Paula — oh, and here is a chest bump.'" Walsh noted that she is a great listener and a very easy person to talk to about any problem that may arise.

In addition to helping others, Terry has also received plenty of help and support from her teammates during her four years. In particular, she noted one person who has helped her often.

"Lauren Rudzinski has a really good way of keeping me motivated and excited to play," Terry said. "Even when I mess up, I know that she is not going to tell me what to do; she tells me to keep my head up and to do what I do best."

Further, Terry noted that the arrival of Coach Wilkins this season has helped her to improve her play on the field.

"[Paula] being here is like a whole new world," Terry said. "The biggest thing about her being here is that I have a new level of confidence on the field; I know that she believes in me and in what I can do."

Although this is her last season as a Badger on the field, Terry still has two semesters of school left at Wisconsin and remains unsure of her plans after graduation.

"It is still kind of far off," Terry said of graduation. "I would love to go to Europe and travel for a couple months, and I would love to go back to Minnesota and live near my family. [However], I would rather not think about that for at least another semester or another year."