Cardinal overcomes White

In the Badger women's hockey annual Cardinal-White scrimmage, the Cardinal team came out with a 3-2 win.

It marked just the second time this year the women's hockey team played together. Needless to say, the effects were evident. The Cardinal committed several miscues in its own zone that led to an early goal for the White.

Just 26 seconds into the game, freshman Mallory Deluce fired a shot past the normally sure-handed goaltender, Jessie Vetter.

As the game progressed, however, the mental mistakes dwindled and the Cardinal took over. Freshman Kelly Nash was a key contributor to the turnaround, notching two goals, including the game-winner with 5:05 left in the contest.

Her first score tied the game at one apiece.

Head coach Mark Johnson was pleased with his newcomer's performance.

"To see her out there looking comfortable, scoring some goals will help her confidence at such a young part of the season," he said.

With All-American and 2006 Patty Kazmaier Award winner Sara Bauer gone this year, Johnson is hoping his freshmen like Nash will be able step in.

"Kelly (Nash), Mallory Deluce and Hillary Knight are three kids that come in with great credentials," Johnson said. "We're going to rely on those kids to play and play well."

In addition to the freshmen, the Badgers return several key players on offense, including sophomore Meghan Duggan, junior Erika Lawler and senior Jinelle Zaugg.

Rather than implementing the typical rules when it comes to penalties — power plays — the teams were given penalty shots. Rather than using the penalty box, Johnson wanted to use the scrimmage to evaluate the younger players and their skills around the net.

"It's giving the kids an opportunity to be put in certain situations to play," Johnson said.

The game was a tune-up the Badgers needed before the season starts this weekend against Union College.

Looking ahead, Wisconsin will face Robert Morris Oct. 5 in its home opener. Before the game, the Badgers will be presented with the national championship trophy for the second consecutive year.

The unveiling of the championship banner and the presentation of the trophy are expected to draw a big turnout, which both the players and coaches will enjoy.

"I love it when there's a big crowd," Nash said. "I always play better when there's a lot of fans out there."

Johnson also hopes to use the crowd to his advantage.

"Hopefully the kids will come out with some energy," Johnson said. "That can be contagious."

— Kevin Hagstrom contributed to this report.