Big Ten tackling schedule early on

Big Ten teams won 10 of 11 games this past Saturday, and eight of the 11 conference teams remain undefeated entering the third week of the season.

However, Michigan, the winningest program in Division I college football history, doesn’t have a single victory.

Michigan lost last Saturday to Oregon by a score of 39-7. With the loss, the Wolverines fell to 0-2 for the first time in more than 20 years.

While Michigan fans around the country are calling for head coach Lloyd Carr’s job, coaches in the Big Ten expressed some empathy for Carr.

"There's no program in the country that does it any better,and with more class or more excellence," Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel said of Michigan’s slow start. "Unfortunately, half the teams in the country lose each weekend."

The elder statesman of Big Ten coaches was also quick to offer some words of support for Carr.

"Sure they got some problems, I guess," Penn State head coach Joe Paterno said. "They just need to stay in there and do the things they know how to do."

Carr, who is preparing his team for a showdown against also winless Notre Dame this Saturday, was sure to say all the right things.

"We are looking forward to hosting Notre Dame this Saturday," Carr said. "We're playing one of our greatest rivalry games, and the only thing that we're trying to focus on is this game this week.

"What we need to do is to correct some of the problems that we've had. We've had a number of them, and it will be an ability to make those corrections that are going to enable us to move in the direction we'll move in."

Since Carr took over the reins of the Michigan football program in 1995, the Wolverines have won five Big Ten titles, most recently in 2004 and a National Championship in 1997. Despite Carr's great success, he has been forced to deal with questions of his future, including possible retirement, in recent weeks.

"That's in the future," Carr said. "That's certainly not today, and so, that's the last thing on my mind.

"When that happens, feel free to call me," Carr added.

Not latching on

What stood out in Michigan's loss to Oregon were a lot of missed tackles by the Wolverine’s defense and big offensive plays by Oregon. Ultimately, the outcome turned out to be the worst point differential against a Wolverines team since 1968.

Tackling, or the lack thereof, was a hot topic of conversation for the coaches.

"The pros don't tackle very well," Paterno bluntly offered as the reason why college players have difficulty with one of the most fundamental principles of football.

"The times have changed," Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said. "A lot of kids are playing more video game football than they do out on the street or in the playground or the backyard.

"It's just something you have to work on," Ferentz said.

Battle for Iowa

Iowa will travel to in-state rival Iowa State Saturday with the Cy-Hawk trophy on the line.

Coming off of a dominating 35-0 walloping of Syracuse, the Hawkeyes are looking to win their third game of the season and remain undefeated.

"We're expecting a real tough football game," Ferentz said.

The Cyclones are sitting at 0-2 after home losses to Kent State and Northern Iowa. This is head coach Gene Chizik's first year with the school and his first opportunity to experience the rivalry between the Cyclones and Hawkeyes.

Ferentz offered his insights on the challenges Chizik might face in his first year leading the Cyclones.

"[It's] not something that can be looked at lightly," said Ferentz. "It's not only a matter of changing schemes, but just getting to know your players on the basics, just the front end. Who guys are, what names go with faces, what numbers go with them and what positions."

Ferentz, however, is not about to take the Cyclones lightly.

"I don't know if what happened is going to make it any harder for them or easier for us."