Kohl Center hosts WNIT

When fans think of March Madness, they think of the men's NCAA tournament. But for the entire UW women's basketball program, Sunday will bring a new type of madness to Madison.

The game will mark the first postseason play for the entire squad, as well as head coach Lisa Stone's first tournament game as the Badgers' coach.

"We're really excited," Stone said. "We're playing basketball in March."

Not only was Wisconsin rewarded with postseason play in the WNIT tournament, but the Badgers will also have the chance to play perhaps all of the tournament's games at home in the Kohl Center, where the Badgers had much success in the regular season.

"I think the more games we play at home, the better," Stone said. "We've got a 13-3 record at home, and we want to continue that."

Playing at home will also give Wisconsin fans another chance to watch their team play before the season is over.

"They don't have to travel as far as they would have if we were in the NCAA tournament," Anderson said.

This is the third time in school history Wisconsin has competed in the WNIT, and the first time since winning the tournament in 2000. The Badgers were also the WNIT runner-up in 1999.

Stone's team was granted a first-round bye, and as a result will face Arkansas State, which defeated Murray State 59-52 Thursday night.

"The fact that we have a first-round bye and that we're playing at home in the first game is awesome," Stone said. "If we continue to win we can play at home the whole way through."

The Arkansas State Lady Indians — who finished fourth in the regular season in the Sun Belt East conference — are led by senior guard Rudy Sims, who averages 15.8 points and nearly five assists per game, and senior center Adrianne Davie, who stands 6-foot-3, and scores more than 20 points per game for Arkansas State.

The Badgers, who have been led by Anderson and fellow junior guard Janese Banks all year, were not projected to have the season they have had, but will look to advance far into the WNIT tournament.

"We just want to start off on a winning note, and just take that mentality for each game that we play," Anderson said. "We've just got to continue working together."

While the Badgers ideally would have liked to earn a bid to the NCAA tournament, they will try to take advantage of the opportunity they have been given.

"This is a tremendous reward for a team that's earned its way into postseason play," Stone said. "The more games the better. We hope that we can do really well in the tournament."