Madness comes early with conference tournaments

March has to be the best month of the year. Eight days in, and I'm already slapping my face in astonishment harder than Ron Artest ever (allegedly) could.

Belmont, Central Connecticut State, Creighton, Davidson, Eastern Kentucky, Gonzaga, Niagara, North Texas, Oral Roberts, Pennsylvania, Virginia Commonwealth, Weber State, Winthrop and Wright State — college basketball teams I normally wouldn't care about have me on the edge of my seat as conference tournaments are currently in play.

Most Badger fans have their attention on the Big Ten tournament — and rightfully so.

Wisconsin, believe it or not, has a lot to play for. Even though the Badgers are without a doubt a lock for the NCAA tournament, their performance in the Big Ten tournament will likely be the difference between a No. 1 or No. 2 seed.

"We have the opportunity to get a No. 1 seed, and if we win the Big Ten tournament, we could possibly be placed in the Midwest (region)," UW senior guard Kammron Taylor said. "We have a lot to gain from going in here and trying to win the (Big Ten) tournament."

As exciting as the Big Ten tournament may be, however, it is not the best conference tournament in the nation. Not even close. Neither are the ACC, Big XII, Big East, Pac-10 or SEC tournaments, for that matter.

In the major conferences, everyone knows what teams are basically making it to the Big Dance, save for some remarkable Gerry McNamara-led Syracuse run like last year. But in the mid-major conferences, it's a crapshoot. As a result, every team is going all-out to snatch up the only NCAA bid it can, almost as if the regular season were completely irrelevant.

Even in the Missouri Valley Conference — a league that has, at times in recent years, outperformed some of the major conferences — teams can't be entirely sure of their NCAA tournament outlook. Southern Illinois was the only team that could be considered a lock, so every team had to go all-out. Creighton did just that and secured its bid, but Missouri State — a team Wisconsin is familiar with this season — didn't, and now the Bears might go through yet another disappointing postseason full of shoulda, woulda, couldas.

Conversely, another team Wisconsin has played this year punched in its ticket to the NCAA tournament this past weekend in the Big South tournament. Winthrop avoided a selection day controversy by winning its conference tournament. Had the Eagles not won, their tournament outlook would have been a little foggy.

Despite close losses against the Badgers and the North Carolina Tar Heels — both of which were ranked No. 1 at one time this season — their RPI currently sits at 69, not exactly tournament-worthy.

But that's the great thing about the NCAA tournament — teams that probably shouldn't make the tournament can even make some noise in March. Last year, Winthrop was nearly everybody's favorite first-round upset team, and this year the Eagles probably will be again, although they lost to Tennessee right away last year 63-61.

Furthermore, Albany and Vermont will face off Saturday in the America East conference tournament. Whoever wins the dogfight between the Great Danes and Catamounts could be another upset special.

Last year, Albany almost made history in the first round of the NCAA tournament. As a No. 16 seed, the Danes were up by as many as 10 points on the No. 1-seeded Connecticut Huskies and had the Wachovia Center screaming, "U-A! U-A, U-A, U-A!" And two years ago, Vermont, a No. 15 seed, knocked off No. 2 Syracuse in the first round. Whoever makes it this season could be this year's version of George Mason.

While the actual tournament is understandably more exciting with the zeal of filling out the bracket, conference tournaments are just as exhilarating. Who cares if you know little about Sam Houston State or Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (Go Islanders!), watch the Southland tournament play out, as well as all the other lesser-known conferences. They're sure to be some of the most competitive games you'll see all season — talent or no talent.

Michael is a senior double majoring in journalism and communication arts. If you'd like to debate who is going to win the Patriot League with him, he can be reached at [email protected].