Wisconsin suffers heartbreaking OT loss to Purdue

Five extra minutes wasn't enough for the Wisconsin Badgers to overcome the No. 2-seed Purdue Boilermakers in the second round of the Big Ten tournament Friday, as they lost in overtime, 82-79.

"I am so proud of the Wisconsin women's basketball team," UW head coach Lisa Stone said. "I could not be more proud of them. They battled, they fought, got down … and didn't waver. We competed, we battled against one of the top teams in the country into overtime and just played with tremendous resolve, tremendous intensity."

After trailing by eight in the second half after a 3-pointer by Purdue point guard FahKara Malone, Wisconsin began to battle back. UW guard Jolene Anderson made both free throws on a one-and-one after Boilermakers forward Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton picked up her fifth foul, bringing UW to within two with just more than 20 seconds remaining.

After Purdue lost the ball out of bounds, Wisconsin had a chance for the tie. Anderson got the ball in her hands and was able to work her magic, as her jumper tied the game with 9.7 seconds left.

"The fans were cheering down the clock so I just kind of threw it up there, and I knew once it left my hand it was going in, but the game wasn't over there," Anderson said. "We had to get a stop on defense, and that's what we did."

Malone had an opportunity to give the Boilermakers the win, but her shot was denied. Wisconsin had one final chance to win, but Anderson's shot from half court was blocked as time expired.

"Unfortunately, I looked at the clock and [I was at] half court, and I had to go up," Anderson said. "I had to give our team a chance to win the basketball game right there, but it didn't go in."

Purdue came out firing in overtime, scoring the first six points in the extra session. Wisconsin eventually cut the lead to two with a 3 off the glass by Janese Banks, her second in overtime. Her shot gave the Badgers a much-needed spark and kept them in the game.

"I think everyone on this team knew we could win this game," Banks said. "There wasn't a doubt in my mind."

One of the most perplexing moments of the contest came with just a few seconds left in the game. Trailing 80-77 with time winding down, the Badgers got the ball in Anderson's hands. Instead of looking for a tying 3-pointer, Anderson drove to the basket and went for a layup, leaving UW down one with just a 1.9 seconds remaining. After being unable to get the ball back, Wisconsin was forced to foul, and the two resulting free throws for Purdue sealed the game.

"If I took a 3-point shot and I missed it — that doesn't help us — so the 2-point shot obviously gave us a one point [deficit]," Anderson said. "We were still losing, but it still gave us an opportunity to win the basketball game at that point."

"We got a score out of it, as she had mentioned, just a little bit too late," Stone said. "They came out and they scored I think their first three or four baskets in overtime, and we got our backs against the wall. I think you can go back to that. I stand behind my team and a great player in Jolene Anderson."

Purdue's Katie Gearlds, who was responsible for guarding Anderson for most of the game, said the plan was to let the Badgers take anything but a potential game-tying 3 at the end of overtime.

"Once she got inside the three, we let her take it, because we liked our chances of getting the ball inbounds and knocking down two free throws," Gearlds said. "And that's what she did. Thankfully for us, there was only two seconds left on the clock."

Anderson finished as the game's top scorer, with 27 points on 9-of-22 shooting. Guard Janese Banks and forward Danielle Ward also notched double-figure point totals, with 16 and 14 respectively.

Gearlds, who scorched the Badgers for 41 points in their earlier match-up at the Kohl Center, led Purdue with 26. The Boilermakers had strong contributions from several other players. Senior forward Erin Lawless had a double double with 15 points and 10 boards, forward Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton added 14 and freshman point guard Malone scored 13 to go along with her eight assists.

"We knew that Wisconsin was really playing good basketball, and this was going to be a battle for them as they continued to fight to get in the postseason," Purdue head coach Sharon Versyp said. "I give a lot of credit to them."

Unlike in past seasons, the Badgers will most likely be playing in a postseason tournament, whether it is the WNIT or NCAA Tournament. After the loss, Stone reminded her team that the season is not over.

"I stood before that team and I said, 'Ladies, we're not done playing,'" Stone said. "The best part of it is we're not finished playing this season. We've been here many times before where this is it and then you're done."