New-look squads ready for rematch

Nobody likes losing at home, and it's even worse to be blown out. That's exactly what the Ohio State Buckeyes did to the Wisconsin Badgers when they visited the Kohl Center last month.

Wisconsin (18-8, 7-6 Big Ten) was embarrassed at home, losing by 23 points. Standout guard Jolene Anderson was the team's only player in double figures, scoring 25 points.

"The first time we played them, it was one and done," Wisconsin head coach Lisa Stone said. "We took very fast shots. Our shot selection was poor. The poor shot selection filters through the team. If you get one in double figures, you're lucky. We need some balanced scoring."

"Obviously Jolene's an awesome player," freshman forward Mariah Dunham said. "She's got a nose for the ball. We just all need to be around her and help her out when she's working her butt off. We all need to step up our games."

Unlike the Badgers, the Buckeyes (23-1, 12-0 Big Ten) have not tasted defeat on their home court this year, posting a dominant 14-0 on the season. Dunham says her team realizes what Ohio State has been able to do at home, but they are ready for the test.

"It's definitely a challenge, but you've just got to rise up to the challenge," Dunham said. "We just gotta compete. It is another game, but at the same time, we're playing for something this year. It's not just to get by. We definitely need to bring our game."

Stone hopes to learn lessons not only from the team's prior meeting with OSU, but also from an earlier matchup with Indiana, in which her squad was forced into 20 turnovers. In both games, her players lacked patience on offense and found themselves forcing bad shots.

"We're a different team now," Stone said. "I think we're a little bit more patient offensively; we're not taking as quick of shots. I think [there were] lessons learned at Indiana in terms of pressure defense causing us to have turnovers and then [taking] quick shots to try to get back in it. I think we've learned our lesson from that game."

The No. 4 Buckeyes will be without senior guard Brandie Hoskins, the team's second leading scorer, who ranks eighth in the conference in scoring average with 14.3 points per game. Hoskins suffered a foot injury in the team's game against Minnesota last Thursday and is out for the remainder of the season.

"They're still certainly very talented," Stone said. "Certainly, she's been instrumental in their success, and she'll be a great professional player.

"I would say that Brandie was their emotional leader. … They're a little bit different, but they're very, very talented. Their depth is a key reason as to why they're as successful as they are."

Without Hoskins in the lineup for Jim Foster's team, Ohio State will look for center Jessica Davenport to carry the load. The 6-foot-5 senior leads the Big Ten in scoring, averaging 19 points a game. Her defense is equally as intimidating, where she blocks 3.3 shots per game — the fifth best in the country.

"She's got a long wingspan, and she posts the block really strong," UW forward Caitlin Gibson said. "She's a target for them. She's just an amazing player, and they work well together as a team, too."

Without Hoskins, however, Stone sees opportunities for other Buckeye players besides Davenport to step up and make an impact.

"I think they always rely on Davenport," Stone said. "I think they're now relying on other people to fill the gaps. (Sophomore forward) Star Allen has picked up that area. Obviously, (junior guard) Marscilla Packer is unbelievable from 3-point range. They've got some nice depth inside. They're balanced and they're well-coached. We're going to go in there full-strength and do the best that we can."

Realizing that the team came out flat in their previous game against the high-scoring Buckeyes, Dunham feels the Badgers' mentality in this game will make the difference.

"We just need to play team basketball," Dunham said. "We definitely have to run the floor, and we definitely have to actually play defense this time. Last time we didn't really accomplish any of our goals."

Tonight's game will give the Badgers a chance to make a statement and perhaps even come away with an upset victory on the road.

"The way we're playing, I feel very good about our team and our chances," Stone said. "We play to win every game we play."