Badgers set for season in spotlight

It's a funny thing how national exposure works. Everyone who doesn't have it wants it, and those who are in the spotlight are always wishing it were on someone else.

At Wisconsin's annual media day Oct. 20, senior Kammron Taylor was asked if it was a breath of fresh air to finally have his program get some national recognition.

Taylor, who has openly campaigned for UW attention in the past, sat for a moment pondering the correct response before finally answering.

"Man, we know you guys have a job to do," Taylor said, eventually indicating that the media has never won any games for the Badgers and that he didn't want to get caught up in what the media says.

Whether they like it or not, the members of the 2006 Wisconsin men's basketball team now find themselves in an unusual position: squarely in the preseason limelight. In the USA Today-ESPN Coaches Poll released last week, UW was ranked No. 9 nationally. In a Big Ten writers' poll conducted by the Capital Times, Wisconsin was tabbed as the class of the conference, collecting 17 of 22 first-place votes.

"With all the expectations and high rankings and stuff like that, it's kind of hard to [embrace it] because with Bo Ryan, nothing changes," sophomore forward Marcus Landry said. "His whole style isn't going change, ever."

As UW opens its preseason this Friday, with an exhibition game against UW-Stout, the Badgers find themselves at the beginning of what could be a very special ride. Players and coaches, however, refuse to equate any more excitement to the beginning of this season as in comparison to seasons past.

"Last year's first day is the same as this year's first day," sophomore forward Joe Krabbenhoft said.

It's understandable why Wisconsin is being looked upon as such an NCAA power this year, as UW brings back 12 players from a year ago, losing only senior swingman Ray Nixon to graduation, which equates to the Badgers returning 90 percent of their scoring from a year ago. In contrast, the vaunted Buckeyes bring back only 35.5 percent of their points.

Even on an individual level, Wisconsin is getting recognition with star forward Alando Tucker being picked as the preseason Big Ten Player of the Year and receiving serious talk about being a Wooden Award candidate.

"It's not just what he does on the floor, it's what he does off the floor," junior Brian Butch said. "He's just such a great leader."

"With all the players we have back this year, he's going to be even [harder] to stop this year than he was last year," Taylor said.

The fifth-year senior, who is one of the most difficult matchups in the country, makes life easier for the Badgers by drawing significant attention from opposing defenses no matter where he is on the floor.

"Whenever he has the ball, and sometimes even when he doesn't, you can see defenses slumping off, trying to cheat towards him," Krabbenhoft said.

Tucker is just the centerpiece of a Badger offensive attack that has several scoring options. Taylor, an honorable mention all-conference performer from a year ago, returns as one of the top three-point shooters and clutch players in the Big Ten. Taylor averaged 14.2 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.35 assists last season.

"I feel like I can help this team and that I can be better," Taylor said. "We as a team can be one of the best."

With a challenging schedule that is sure to rank highly in the RPI, the Badgers are ready to get their season started and see where all their experience will take them.

"We're all ready to get going," said senior forward Jason Chappell, who started all but one game a year ago. "Everyone is just thrilled to back on the court and start playing again."

"It only matters where we are at the end of the season, not the beginning," Tucker said. "That's what we are shooting for, being ranked high at the end."