UW goes out in style on senior night

As they entered their game Friday night against Northwestern (8-9-2, 4-5-1), the Wisconsin women's soccer team (7-8-3, 4-5-1) had a lot of questions to be answered. Would they win and qualify for the Big Ten tournament? Would they be able to break out of their goal-scoring funk? Would their defense be able to rebound after giving up nine goals in the last four matches? Would the team's five seniors be able to go out on a positive note in their last home match?

The answer to all of those questions was a resounding yes.

On a chilly Friday night at the McClimon Soccer Complex, the Badgers broke out of their slump to crush the Wildcats 5-0 and guarantee themselves a spot in the upcoming Big Ten tournament.

"Our team was on a mission tonight," Wisconsin head coach Dean Duerst said. "To make a statement and go ahead of [Northwestern] in the league standings was big too."

Wisconsin came into the match-up having not scored in their last four matches, but behind a two goal and one assist effort from senior forward Allison Preiss and a goal and two assists from sophomore forward Taylor Walsh, the Badgers struck early and often.

The Badgers got on the board in the 12th minute as Walsh and Preiss combined for their first of two goals on the day. Walsh, playing along the far sideline, crossed it into Preiss at the top of the penalty box. Preiss, who received the ball in stride, blasted a shot to the near post for her third tally of the season.

"Our team came out and played like they were capable of playing all year long," Duerst said. "Anytime you get an early goal, it gives momentum and that makes a difference."

Wisconsin struck again in the 21st minute. Walsh dished out an assist, but this time the goal belonged to sophomore midfielder Elise Weber. Weber snuck in behind the Wildcat defense and found herself all alone against Northwestern goalkeeper Lauren Johnston. Weber gained possession of Walsh's pass and lofted it up and over Johnston for her third goal of the season.

The Badgers scored once more before the half ended and this time Preiss set up Walsh for the goal. After taking the pass from Preiss, Walsh faked to her right then went left and shot the ball to the far back post for her sixth goal of the season.

Wisconsin's fourth goal didn't come until the 80th minute, but it was a memorable one. Playing in her last match at home, senior forward Lindsey Walker took a shot that was deflected. She gathered the rebound and sent a slow roller that got passed Johnston for her first career goal.

"You know it's a great night when Lindsey finally gets her goal," Duerst said. "She's been so close so many times."

The Badgers added one more goal just about four minutes later as Preiss scored her second goal of the match.

The five goals by the Badgers matched their season-high set earlier in the year as they beat Minnesota 5-1 Oct.1.

Northwestern came into the match with the third-most goals among Big Ten teams but was unable to muster much offense as senior goalkeeper Stefani Szczechowski recorded her second shutout of the season.

"We just really had a mentality today for the shutout," Wisconsin senior defender Natalie Horner said. "That's what we were thinking from the beginning … what we wanted today was a shutout."

The win made sure the team's five seniors would not leave their home field for the last time in defeat. All the seniors played a role in the win, especially Preiss with two goals, Walker with her first career goal and Szczechowski who got the shutout. Duerst said this type of a win makes the year for the seniors.

"In a pressure situation, they came through," he said. "You think of all the time and effort and commitment they've given and they got rewarded for that here."

"The most important thing is how well they performed," Duerst added. "It's great to see your seniors perform at a top level."

With the win, the Badgers earned the No. 7 seed in the Big Ten tournament, which starts Thursday at Penn State University. Wisconsin will face off against No. 2 seed Illinois, who beat the Badgers 4-2 Sept. 22 at the McClimon Complex.

The win over the Wildcats gives the team confidence as they head into the postseason, but they know exactly where they've come from.

"It puts a lot of confidence in everyone on the team," Horner said. "But at the same time we all know what the last two weeks have held for us, and so we need to keep that in mind and not forget that that can happen again and that we're not unstoppable by any means.

"We just really need to focus this next week in practice and get ready to go and play that way next weekend."