OSU set to mess with Texas

The 2005 Texas-Ohio State game was arguably the most hyped preseason contest ever, and the game lived up to the hype for the most part, as the Longhorns took a thrilling 25-22 nail biter over the Buckeyes at The Horseshoe in Columbus.

The game ended up being the first step in Texas' march to a national title, and for Ohio State it was perhaps the defining moment of a season that fell just short of excellence, as a pair of one score losses kept OSU just outside of the national title picture.

So what will the rematch bring? While the game isn't nearly as hyped as 2005, the national title implications could be just as grandiose as the No. 1 Buckeyes travel to Austin to take on the No. 2 Longhorns and the loser might see their national title aspirations disappear.

While the stakes are great, Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel has tempered his enthusiasm to more of appreciating the opportunity the game presents for his team to improve.

"The great thing about our early season schedule is you couldn't ask for much more to get you ready for the Big Ten conference than the folks we're playing," Tressel said in the Big Ten's weekly teleconference.

Tressel adamantly states that his team is in for as tough a challenge as they will see all season in the reigning national champions.

"They've got speed everywhere; they've got toughness everywhere. Mac [Brown] has done a fabulous job down there, with the great tradition of Texas football," Tressel related. "The one thing you have to do very, very well is tackle. We've got to do a good job in the takeaway area too.

"We need to come up with more big plays."

Another area of concern for Tressel and his staff will be the place kicking situation.

"So there is no question we must, must get better in the place kick area, unfortunately the only thing that helps you learn is experiences out there (on the field)," said Tressel. "I think as they continue to grow, we'll have someone emerge and we'll end up with a very good kicker. We just need to end up with him as soon as possible."

Mixed results on rule changes

The early returns on new NCAA rule changes geared toward shortening game times have been mixed after the first week of play. Under new rules, the clock starts as soon as the ball is kicked off, and it will start as soon as the ready for play signal is made by officials after first downs.

"With the shorter games, I think we had about 20 plays shorter than last year," said Tressel. "That means we have a few less snaps to learn from and grow from — on the field and on film."

Michigan's Lloyd Carr, while not be surprised by the way the rule changed the way the game was played, wasn't so much upset as he was nostalgic for the old way.

"Players and coaches have to really be on their toes," Carr said. "We didn't have any delay of games but there were a couple of times when we had to hustle onto the field and go right to the line of scrimmage.

"We did run fewer plays. I love coaching football games, so if they let me have a decision right now I'd say lets go back to the way it was. The games were never too long for me."

However Purdue's Joe Tiller continues to be the most vocal detractor of the rule changes. "As the season progresses and guys get burned by it, I think we're going to see more guys be expressive in terms of not liking the rule. Until it effects you in some way, it's kind of hard to have an opinion," boomed Tiller before making it clear that his opinion is already formed. "I don't like the rule. I don't think it's necessary. I don't think its something college football should've implemented at this time. We've eliminated 15-20 plays for each team, so were not as entertaining as we were a year ago, or as much as we have been since the game was started."