Badgers expect positive transition into 2007 season

A "worst-to-first" turnaround is what first-year UW head coach Chandelle Schulte and the Wisconsin Badgers softball team have in mind for 2007, as a disappointing 2006 season will likely come to a close this weekend.

Believe it or not, there are a number of reasons that a dramatic 180-degree turnaround is not just possible, but probable. Here is why the Wisconsin softball team will be among the Big Ten's best in 2007:

-The Badgers only lose one senior on the entire roster, Kaitlin Reiss. The Badgers lost an immeasurable amount of production last season, graduating legends such as Boo Gillette and Kris Zacher, owners of a good portion of the UW softball record books.

-Coach Schulte has historically been significantly more successful in her second year with a program. "I've been with her through two different programs," said Rachael Stern, one of her star players at College of Charleston, where she coached prior to arriving on the scene at UW. "And the first year is always the rough year because she has to get used to the players [and] they have to get used to her. The second year is when things really start turning around because they all know her from the previous year [and] she's bringing in her recruits."

-The fact that Schulte is bringing in her recruits is huge, especially since she figures to use at least three incoming freshmen in major roles right off the bat. She said she is tremendously excited about these players, which include a pitcher from California who will likely be the frontrunner to complement junior pitcher Eden Brock as another starter next season.

-Brock, UW's star pitcher, will be back next year for her senior season. Wisconsin's No. 1 starter is 17-12 so far this season and was 20-11 last season. She has been the workhorse for the pitching staff all year — throwing 20 complete games in just 28 starts — and figures to be back as the opening day starter in 2007.

-Freshman pitcher Leah Vanevenhoven will have a more solidified role — likely as a closer — her sophomore year as she continues to develop this summer. "[I will need more] movement on my pitchers, for sure," Vanevenhoven said. "I would obviously like to work toward being a starter [next year], but being a closer is just as much of a responsibility."

Vanevenhoven and assistant coach Barbara Sherwood have talked about developing a drop ball, curveball and rise ball for next year. She did not pitch as much as she would have liked this season, partially because she stopped using the rise ball she had thrown in high school and was mainly throwing straight fastballs.

-Katie Hnatyk, the sophomore slugging sensation who is two home runs shy of tying the all-time UW record in just two years playing with the team, will gain invaluable experience on the Canadian Senior National Team this summer. "I think she will come back even better," said Schulte about Hnatyk, who will travel to Beijing with Team Canada to compete in the 2006 International Softball Federation XI World Women's Championships from Aug. 27-Sept. 5. That tournament is a 2008 Olympic qualifier.

-Sam Polito, the junior centerfielder who leads the team in batting average, hits, runs and stolen bases, will be back as the leadoff hitter next season. Schulte expects Polito to be a team leader as a senior, along with freshman Valyncia Raphael and junior Joey Daniels. "With the talent we [will] have on our team, I think [making the Big Ten tournament] is something we can definitely accomplish," said Polito.

Coach Schulte has talked all year about the parity in Big Ten softball. While Wisconsin was not among the elite this season, the team showed signs of competing in conference play, leading third-place Ohio State 5-1 this past weekend before collapsing and beating fifth-place Michigan State 5-3 earlier this spring.

While Schulte did not experience the results she wanted this season, she saw undeniable progress. A glaring opportunity awaits Wisconsin softball next season.

"That's the great thing about next year," Schulte said. "This is wide open. And I expect, quite frankly, to do significantly better."