UW finishes spring season with strong victory

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]soccer_bf[/media-credit]In Wisconsin's final spring game of the season, the Badgers saved their most complete game on both sides of the ball for last and beat UW-Green Bay 2-0 at the McClimon Soccer Complex.

After Wisconsin lost three of its top offensive weapons this winter, the Badgers have reloaded with a variety of players who can make plays offensively and get the ball into the net. It was fitting that the first goal of the night came from one of the returning veterans of the squad, while the Badgers' last goal was created solely by the play of two highly rated Wisconsin freshmen.

Wisconsin jumped on the board early in the first half on a textbook passing play that saw Kara Kabellis score another goal in the spring season. Sophomore Lauren Rudzinski started the Wisconsin break by taking the ball away from a UWGB defender. Rudzinski then made a difficult pass to Kabellis, who was sandwiched between two Phoenix defenders. Kabellis was able to out-hustle the Phoenix defense and beat the Green Bay goalie in the back corner of the net for a 1-0 goal.

The early goal for the Badgers is something that head coach Dean Duerst and the rest of his team are looking for in the upcoming season, as the inability to get on the scoreboard first last season proved the Achilles' heel of the squad.

"One of the things that this team needs to do is keep trying to separate itself by early, good goals and getting good starts," Duerst said. "They can score. They just need that confidence, and I see that coming from a bunch of different sources."

Wisconsin's second and final goal of the evening was created by two of Wisconsin's youngest players, forwards Erin Main and Elise Weber. Weber, who led all freshmen on the team last year in goals and points, was able to find a clearing along the right side and get behind two Phoenix defenders. Weber launched the ball toward the left corner that got over the Green Bay defense, and Main finished it off for the goal and the Wisconsin victory.

In goal for Wisconsin, all three Badger goalies saw time in the net and all turned in solid performances, which will further complicate matters for the UW coaching staff when the Badgers have to pick a starting goalie. Junior Lynn Murray played the first half, while senior captain Stefani Szczechowski and freshman Camille Aochi split time in the second half.

"It was good to give everybody a little bit of an opportunity to play in our last game," Duerst said.

One of the hidden surprises for the Badgers this spring has been the play of Jenny Gaynor, who was just added to the team this spring. With the Badgers' roster already set for fall, Wisconsin was unable to hold walk-on tryouts for spots on the team. With the six graduating seniors, however, Gaynor was given the opportunity to play and has been a point of optimism for Wisconsin.

"She's our new surprise player that just has been added to the team," Duerst said. "She has been real impressive. We didn't have a fall tryout because the roster was full, so we had her try out, and she has been a real nice surprise for us this spring."

In addition to their Thursday night contest, the UW coaching staff announced this week that Wisconsin has signed goalie Dani Griffin in a letter of acceptance to attend UW in the fall.

A Salt Lake City native, Griffin was a first-team all-state selection for three years and has led her high school to three appearances at the state finals. As a senior, she served as team captain and was named the team's most valuable player.

Griffin is also a member of the club team Utah Avalanche Premier 88, where she has led her team to multiple regional and national tournaments, including the State Cup the last three years. Griffin's signing joins that of the five other student-athletes who have committed to join the UW women's soccer program this fall.

The signing of Griffin increases an already strong goaltender position for Wisconsin that includes Aochi, Murray, Szczechowski and recently signed recruit Wesley Johnson.

"Your teams are stronger when they are complemented with depth, and Dani is definitely going to challenge in goal for us," Duerst said.

Wisconsin finished its spring season going 5-2-1. More importantly, UW was able to fill in some holes on offense and defense that caused concerns going into the spring schedule and looks to build on its successful spring with a solid start in the fall's non-conference season.

"We saw some things [this spring] in terms of who can score, who can be dangerous and who can be creative around the net," Duerst said.