‘Lucky Charm’ finally getting her chance

It's a sunny April afternoon, and Liz Klemp is joking around with a teammate after practice. As she talks to her friend, she flashes a bright smile. Any minute, her name will be called out by one of her teammates, each of whom has a special connection with the fun-loving, extra-friendly junior catcher.

While one of her peers might call out, "Liz!" any of her coaches might call her by one of their many nicknames for her; one moment Klemp is "Lucky Charm," the next, she's "Secret Weapon," the next, she's "Lucky Leprechaun."

While Klemp was certainly kept a secret during her first two years at the UW, it would be a stretch to call her "lucky" — at least back then. She didn't record an official at-bat in her first two years with the team.

"I kind of just got overlooked," she explains.

And she had to labor as the bullpen catcher in practice, squatting for hours on end, working tirelessly at a thankless job. And on top of that, she didn't even get a "thank you" from the coaching staff. Regimented and satisfied with their day-to-day, more senior hitters, the coaches didn't even let Klemp take cuts in batting practice.

Finally, after two years without any opportunity to prove her worth, Klemp's luck is starting to turn.

After last season, the UW softball coaching staff underwent a complete makeover. A new head coach — Chandelle Schulte — was hired, and her two assistant coaches were also new and handpicked by Schulte herself.

Just like that, every player on the team started from scratch. It didn't matter who had played well — or who had played, period — in the past. A page was turned in UW softball history, and whoever deserved to help write the newest chapter would have the chance to write it.

With a chip on her shoulder and something to prove, Klemp immediately got to work. She made a lasting impression on the new coaching staff, working just as hard as anybody else to earn a new role on the team.

For the first time in her college career, Klemp would have a chance to seriously contribute to UW softball.

"At the beginning [of the season], Liz knew her role was probably going to be in the bullpen, and [that she'd] have to earn a spot in the lineup," explained assistant coach Martha McCall. "And [after working all year long], she's [now] the first one we go to [off] the bench. She's our go-to girl. And she's earned that."

Klemp has gotten used to having to earn her keep. A four-sport athlete at Milwaukee Lutheran High School — she played softball, golf, basketball and volleyball until her senior year, when she decided to focus solely on the former two sports — she was only recruited to two small-time, Division III schools to play softball.

When the UW offered her the Chick Evans Caddie Scholarship, she decided that it was in her — and her family's — best interest to take advantage of the full ride. Before she knew it, her vision of being a college athlete had taken a severe blow. What was once a sure thing evaporated into a sure dream.

Easily, Klemp could have given up on softball. She had the perfect excuses at her disposal — she was a freshman coming to a large campus where she would have to balance academics and a social life and would have to maintain her duties as a golf caddie all at the same time.

But that is simply not the way Klemp operates. In fact, she never even had an inkling of giving up; rather, she started her journey to becoming a successful college athlete by working harder than she had ever worked before.

Her diligence has paid off. Currently, Klemp sports the second-highest batting average on the team — hitting at a scorching .353 — and has hit the third-most home runs on the entire squad.

"I knew I had to really start working hard if I wanted to … keep playing softball," Klemp said. "I knew it was kind of a long shot, but I tried out [for the team anyway]."

Needless to say, Klemp made the squad. She did so by employing a strong work ethic that, according to her, she established in high school.

In college, she has excelled both on and off the field. Her coaches love her gung-ho attitude, and many of her teammates refer to her as their best friend on the team.

"Liz is amazing," teammate Katie Hnatyk said. "I spend a lot of time with [her]."

"She's just got a heart," Schulte said. "Liz wants to get it done so bad, she finds a way. I don't know — I think it really adds something to our team because [her teammates] get excited every time she gets out there."

The first-year skipper smiles when she thinks of her "Lucky Leprechaun."

"But you have to use her in the right situations," added Schulte. "You can't use all your luck up at one time."

Klemp is thankful that her coaches use her at all.

"They gave me that chance," Klemp said. "And I took it, and I'm running with it."