Big five battle for supremacy, title in Big Ten

[media-credit name=’BRYAN FAUST/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]mbb_bf_416[/media-credit]It's March 1 and for college basketball aficionados everywhere the insanity that is March Madness is officially underway. While the expression "March Madness" applies mostly to the NCAA tournament that gets underway 15 days from now, it also includes the final regular-season games and conference tournaments, where teams around the country scramble to make their final push towards a ticket to the Big Dance.

Nowhere is that more evident than in the Big Ten, where heading into the season's ultimate week of play, the conference title is still entirely up for grabs and postseason destinations are still very much in limbo.

"In the Big Ten, the standings are crazy," Illinois head coach Bruce Weber said. "We could end up anywhere from tying for first place to being in seventh place. I think that shows you the parity in the Big Ten this year."

"That's what the Big Ten is about, taking every game one at a time and grinding through the season," Minnesota head coach Dan Monson said.

At 10-4, Ohio State currently sits atop the conference, holding a one-game lead over Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin, which at 9-5 are still very much in the hunt for at least a split of the Big Ten crown.

With all four teams having two games left in the regular season, the Illini, Hawkeyes and Badgers, who play a difficult schedule this week, will all be looking for the Buckeyes to be upset either on the road at Northwestern or at home against Purdue Sunday, the Big Ten finale.

"We've got a tremendous challenge ahead of us," Ohio State head coach Thad Matta said, adding it would be a disappointment if they didn't win the conference outright. "The way it is [in the Big Ten] this year, I've said this all along, there isn't a game on the schedule this year I said, 'I know we're going to win this game.'"

Seeding for the conference tournament, which begins March 9, is also still in the air and for several teams the tournament could prove vital to post-season aspirations.

"Is it wild? Yeah, I think it's Big Ten basketball," Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan said.

Indiana and Michigan are two teams that are considered to be squarely "on the bubble" and in dire need of a strong finish to ensure a birth to the NCAA tournament. That means that the game of week could be when both teams meet Saturday afternoon in Ann Arbor.

"I've always thought Indiana has been a dangerous team," Michigan coach Tommy Amaker said. "Unfortunately for us we are catching IU at a time when things are falling in place for them, they're playing well and they're confident."

"Where we stand now with 15 wins … I'm not sure where we are, but I'm excited to have the team back on track and hopefully we can win some more games," Indiana head coach Mike Davis said.

Although non-candidates for the NCAA tournament, barring a miracle run through the Big Ten Tournament, Minnesota, Northwestern and Penn State also have postseason aspirations for the NIT.

"Well, obviously every team strives to the NCAA tournament and until you get beat out in Indianapolis that will be every team's goal," Monson said. "If we can somehow win a couple of these games, our last 10 have been a very good record against top-25 team. Were trying to show that we have improved by being able to get some of these guys on our way out."

"We're hoping to gain a little momentum this week and see if we get a couple of wins going into the Big Ten tournament just feeling that we can make some noise there," Northwestern head coach Bill Carmody said.

So rejoice hoop heads, March Madness is officially underway, at least in the Big Ten.

"Now it's boiling down to who has the away games, who has the home games, who can win on the road and who can hold serve at home," Ryan said. "The last week will tell it all."